Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Beer Guzzling Canuck
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my craftsman 21 hp lawn tractor today and delivered it to a lady. while at her place she told me her old tractor died thats why she needed another. I asked her what kind of tractor it was and she didnt know. I asked her to see it and offered to buy it if it was anything interesting. When I got behind the barn there was what I think a 1975 MF 14! I asked how much and she said it was dead and there was nothing she could do to get it to run so she sold it to me for 100$ :) I drove to my brothers place and we hooked a new battery to it and the engine turned but no spark... I figure that a new coil and a few tests will get the electrical problem solved.

I got home kind of late and im leaving for work in the morning. ill be gone for a week but when im back ill post some pics for you guys to help me identify it.

·
Another Classic Tractor
2,496 Posts
You are so lucky! I would take that deal anytime. Congrats.

Reactions: hatedge

·
Super Moderator
54,348 Posts
You lucky dog! Good luck getting it going!

·
Beer Guzzling Canuck
577 Posts
Thanks guys, I couldnt leave you hanging for a week so I got up early to get a few snapshots.

I hope to be able to fix it up ;)

Heres the beast: Serial No is MF 14 1944004275 engine K321S

Ill be looking for a brake pedal, a coil and a whole lot of elbow grease. is there a 3 pt capability on this kind of tractor? My brther has a mf12 and he has a hydraulic lift in the rear but this 14 doesnt!?!

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Gas Font Rectangle Number Screw Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Wheel Gas Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Attachments

·
diesel mechanic
1,165 Posts
thanks for the pics. looks like a really nice mf14 your got there and at a great price too. good luck on ur work trip

·
Super Moderator
54,348 Posts
It has potential! Best of luck with it!

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
Thanks guys, I hopr to be able to fix it up ;)

Heres the beast:
You'll get it going, I guarantee it. Kohler's are easy to work on most of the time, and when they are right they are one of the strongest starting and easiest running engines around.

No spark tells me to check the simple things first. The new coil (battery ignition) you could get from an auto parts store for an Andrew Jackson or so.

Ben W.

·
Cub Cadet Collector
1,457 Posts
That was a great deal. Thanks for the pics!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Wow! great deal. Well worth putting some money into that tractor. Very capable machine! Congrats!

·
372 Posts
That is a great buy! One thing I would check for the no spark is the points, they are on the side of the engine. Both of my 14's had no spark this spring due to points needed cleanded up and the gap set.

·
Beer Guzzling Canuck
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the encouragement guys. The work trip went quite well but missed home and the MF was constantly on me mind :)

I will be checking points soon and if they send current or have the right OHM ill change the coil. Anyone has a part number or brand to recomend?

·
Beer Guzzling Canuck
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice find there. Those are good machines. For a coil, just get one from auto supply store.

Get one with built in resistor.
Thats all? I walk in the autopart and ask for a coil with resistor? No other info needed? Those things are all standard?

·
372 Posts
Here are a couple of part #'s to help you out, NAPA IC14 or AC Delco C573. On my 14 I rebuilt last year I found out the coil was bad on it, I put on a Accel 8140 coil that was sittiing in parts box.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,814 Posts
1st thing I would do is Clean and regap the points to .020.

If still no spark replace the Condensor.

If still no spark Check to see if there is 12V getting to the Coil.Check for a bad wire if Wiring is good Replace the Key switch.

If still no spark Replace the Coil.

Check all of the Commonly faulty and cheap $4-$15 small parts before you go get another $30-$40 Resistor Coil.

·
Beer Guzzling Canuck
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1st thing I would do is Clean and regap the points to .020.

If still no spark replace the Condensor.

If still no spark Check to see if there is 12V getting to the Coil.Check for a bad wire if Wiring is good Replace the Key switch.

If still no spark Replace the Coil.

Check all of the Commonly faulty and cheap $4-$15 small parts before you go get another $30-$40 Resistor Coil.
Sounds like a smart procedure to follow. Thank you. I will be doing just that.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts