Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a tiller a few days ago with the expectation that I would convert it into a Cub Cadet mounted tiller. But then the PO mentioned attachments that his son had at his house, and that totally threw me off the conversion idea, also it was heavier than I expected. So I started some research into it, but not much information exists for this model. It's not quite as beefy as a true 2-wheel tractor, but it accepts implements... so I don't know. Let me know what you think.
I purchased an early 1980's Craftsman Task Handler 917-299660
So far I've cleaned it up a bit, and used the tiller. I'm pretty happy with it, but I need to keep playing with the carb, and I would like to put some larger tires on it, but maybe it won't handle it. I'll look in the transmission and see if I like it.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood Gas

Wheel Tire Self-propelled artillery Automotive tire Vehicle

Plant Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Wood
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Wood

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I only have one picture of the 2 attachments, but clearly one is a single bottom plow, the other one is a kind of spring rake, I'm not sure the exact term for the implement, and I don't have a better picture. I think it is a cultivator.

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
8,385 Posts
Never knew that Sears made a model like that . Pretty cool piece you have there

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took the tiller off to check it out. Unfortunately it has lots of play in the tiller shaft and a crack or two in the housing and shroud. During the winter I will attempt to rebuild it, but for now it will just get put back on.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The plow is for breaking the ground, The harrow is for loosening it and breaking up clumps. The tiller is for pulverizing it. If you do it in that order it will be much easier on the equipment and you. I found the worst part of using a two wheeled tractor was turning it around at the end of a row. Promotes long narrow gardens. If I remember correctly my old David Bradly would plow 40' in under 30 seconds
Don

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Makes sense, unfortunately I don't have the plow and harrow available yet. Also most of the damage happened prior to my purchase. I noticed that it was repaired previously, and made it difficult to disassemble.
I definitely agree about the turning around, gets my workout in...
This walk behind has, in order, Low, Reverse, Neutral, and High. I do waste some speed in low, but it is a balance between digging and making progress. I haven't tried the plow, but I don't know if it could muster that much speed while playing in the dirt. I don't think high gear would be OK to engage the ground with. I'm not quite sure if this can be considered a true 2 wheel tractor or not, it has a strange mix of features. I think it is close to the performance of a Planet Jr. Tuffy, without the tall wheels.
Wood Floor Electrical wiring Gas Flooring
Wood Floor Electrical wiring Gas Flooring

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Personally I don't see much use for one. I've watched a few videos of people putting around on a sulkey, but if I need to sit down, I'll just start up my CC 129. Although I will grant that you can turn tighter on a sulkey.

I'm still waiting for the other two attachments to arrive, after that I will probably be out plowing my entire 1/2ac backyard. 😂

In the meantime I am trying to make attachments for the 129, but that's a different thread/forum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts