Garden Tractor Forums banner

My Jd317--Good News And Bad News

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Utah Smitty 
#1 ·
Well, I finally got the Kohler M18 engine in my JD317 to start and run without any help. The first time I put it on it wouldn't run...

I pulled the carb off and cleaned it out... but, not being familiar with Walbro carbs, I didn't realize that there was a port from the adjustable mainjet to the center tube of the carb. So, when I reinstalled it, there was no joy.

I pulled it again, cleaned out the port for the mainjet to the carb bowl and also the little slit between it and the center tube--put it back in, and Voila!! she runs.

Now on the the second problem--the slowly dripping oil from the front of the engine. Something told me to check the filter--I did, and it was loose on the threads, I snugged it up and all was good.

That was the good news...now for the bad news.

I pulled the cylinder shrouds off so could clean out the fins, and noticed several black lumps stuck between the fins... at first I thought it was greasy clumps of dirt. When I removed them, I found they were magnetic...hmmm...

I looked at the flywheel on the left hand side, and noticed that the part of the stator I could see had been damaged...

That's the bad news.

So, the question is...

What does it take to repair this?

I'm sure I'll need a new stator, but can you put magnets back on the flywheel, or do I have to get another one, AND, more importantly, about how much is this going to cost me???

Advice gratefully accepted...

Utah Smitty

See less See more
#2 ·
#7 ·
Reactions: larryd
#8 ·
If you can see the damaged area it would help us if you could take a picture of it and post it so we would know exactly what you are talking about. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Dick
The engine is still in the tractor. I could just see a small portion of the backside of the flywheel at the top--I don't think I can get a decent picture of the area.

I'm still "exploring my options" I know where another Kohler M18 is for about $300... it may be simpler just to install it.

Smitty

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just went to the shed & looked, and I must have done something with that MV20 flywheel, cause it's not there now. Was hoping I still had it for ya.

There is actually a complete set of just the magnets on ebay right now, $35 & free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-KT-17-and-Magnum-18-Cub-Cadet-682-782-1812-more-Flywheel-Charge-Magnets-/281125048673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41745bd161

Stator also $35 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-m18-magnum-stator-free-ship-/321148748510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac5f502de

#13 ·
I just went to the shed & looked, and I must have done something with that MV20 flywheel, cause it's not there now. Was hoping I still had it for ya.

There is actually a complete set of just the magnets on ebay right now, $35 & free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-KT-17-and-Magnum-18-Cub-Cadet-682-782-1812-more-Flywheel-Charge-Magnets-/281125048673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41745bd161

Stator also $35 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-m18-magnum-stator-free-ship-/321148748510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac5f502de
Thanks, Daniel.

I can't view eBay from my work computer, but I'll check it out when I get home.

Smitty

#14 ·
I think the official line from Kohler is that you should not replace the magnets but buy a new flywheel. I'm not sure where you would get the magnets alone.
I'm sure a new flywheel would be a simpler course, but they're about $450. I have found a used one for $100, but need to find a stator as well.

Smitty

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a flywheel! At least I'm pretty sure. However, I'm away from home until Wednesday. I'll let it go for a lot cheaper than a hundred bucks. If you want to hold off unil I can get you a picture ill do that when I get back. Don't know if I have a stator though. I don't remember but can check in a few days.

#17 ·
I have a flywheel! At least I'm pretty sure. However, I'm away from home until Wednesday. I'll let it go for a lot cheaper than a hundred bucks. If you want to hold off unil I can get you a picture ill do that when I get back. Don't know if I have a stator though. I don't remember but can check in a few days.
Thanks so much!!. I'm interested... let me kno w when you can.

Smitty

#18 ·
Well, I decided I would probably use this 317, instead of trying to get the other one back in shape. I don't need 2 of them, but one will provide a good source of parts for the other.

I hauled it to a car wash and cleaned it off as best I could--there was crusted on oily dirt everywhere underneath. In the process, I managed to break the clear line that shows the transaxle oil level--it was pretty brittle, and needed to be replaced.

The body pan was only held on by two bolts, so I decided to remove it so I could more easily work on the transaxle, etc.

View attachment 75843

When I got the body off, I discovered this:

View attachment 75844 View attachment 75845

I've never known of a metal fan to break like this unless it's physically damaged. The broken-off blade was lying in the bottom of the fan shroud--completely buried in crud...

Now, a couple questions:

How do you remove the fan??? this one had a nylon wire tie through the hole up by the pump, I removed it, but the fan hub seems to be pressed on.

How do you drain the transaxle. There's a big hex nut at the very back, about even with the axles, but it wouldn't drain much from that... do you break a line free?

As always, any help would be appreciated.

Smitty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.