Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Here are some recent pictures of the MF 14 I bought today. It looks like it will need lots of TLC.

Attachments

·
Has anybody seen my coffee ?
1,366 Posts
Looks like a diamond in the rough to me in overall pretty good shape. Looks like most of the rough is just cosmetic. A little sprucing up the cosmetics,change the maintenance items and you have a very nice tractor. I really like the those MF 14's. Makes me want another one...

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
It looks like it's just been neglected, not badly abused. I think you're right, it just needs some T.L.C. and you'll have a good tractor to play/work with. Guess I have trouble separating work and play, lol.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I'm sure glad you got this, you have had me nervous you were going to loose it. I never mentioned this but I have been watching this since it came up a month ago. The 14 & 16 are hard to find & most MF fans buy them regardless what shape there in for a restore or for parts. When you mentioned it last week I thought I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I got this. This is about an hours drive from me. Then you kept asking for info then you said you haven't bought it yet & I thought WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ! It does need some work but nothing that can't be done. I would copy & paste the PO pic of the front, it looks so sad but happy now in your garage. Jump around on here & see what some of the others have started with....a lot worse than YOURS. I would take this diamond in the ruff totally apart & do it right. Your biggest advantage is your a part of GTT so you have plenty of help. Congratulations, now I can take this one off my list....joyfully. :thumbs:

Reactions: MYMF10 and Gabriel

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
I think you got a good deal and it's mostly all there. Just go thru it and you will have a great Gt. Just needs some TLC and it will look like new again. Congrats!!

Reactions: Gabriel

·
Registered
391 Posts
Great looking tractor, used but not used up. :thumbs:

I'd start with the blown head gasket and try and patch that muffle then see how it runs, then move on from there.

Nice project, good luck with it :beerchug:

·
Super Moderator
54,003 Posts
That looks like a Cub muffler that's on it. Good luck with it.

·
Live long and prosper
6,782 Posts
Congratulations. It looks pretty good. Thanks for those nice photographs.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the encouragement! I am very grateful to find an MF 14. I had to wait for better weather to pick it up, but it turned out to be a rather cold, snowy day(not what the forecast had originally said when I set up a pick up date). When I started looking it over, I found things I you couldn't see from the pictures on Craig's list. It was a bit discouraging, but I know that once it is restored, it will be better than any new garden tractor you can buy today. I hope you all don't mind questions, because I will probably have lots!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello again,
How has anyone here repaired the plastic dash on one of these? Mine is cracked and missing bits of plastic on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the muffler suppose to have any other braces to support it besides where it bolts to the engine?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Gabriel I'm presently working on my dash panel. Mine had already been poorly repaired so I ground off the previous fiber glass & cleaned with solvents to get rid of any dirty, & oily films. I clamped the cracks to even out the surface & applied some epoxy. I will fiber glass with mesh this area smooth & as MH81 mentioned use fender washers when I reassemble. Here is a pic I took for my restore documents.

parts2.jpg

Attachments

·
129 Posts
This is what I did to mine - which although not broken was badly cracked. First I tried to glue the cracks with superglue, but I knew that was unlikely to hold, so I cut some mesh to fit - tacked that in place with a bit of superglue as well, and then made up a solution of ABS in acetone (broke up a couple of ABS plumbing collars and dissolved them in half a jam jar of acetone). I painted that on with the bolts in place and let each coat dry before screwing the bolts in and out a bit to keep the holes clear. It took quite a few coats but by the end I had added another 1/8" in thickness to the plastic with some mesh in there as well. Then just for good measure I used oversize washers to hold it all down. Not the prettiest of repairs, but I think it will hold.

I built up the nose piece in the same way with some 3/16" rod bent to fit inside it for reinforcing.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 199 Posts