Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Tractorholic
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, things dried up enough that I dared to take my 1552 out back and retrieve one of the MF 10's to begin stripping down for restoration/refurbishing. My goal is to have a sharp looking, well performing MF 10 that will see light duty around my farm and maybe bring it to a few local shows. I will use this thread to follow the entire process. There will be times when I won't be posting every week, but I hope to be somewhat steady in this.

For those that remember, I obtained 2 MF 10's; an 1966 and a 1967 model. My plan is to use the motor and majority of the sheet metal from the 67 to rebuild the 66.

My first step was to get the motor out of the 67 and get it to my father-in-law's for teardown and rebuild. First I had to get it out of storage from my back out building. This was accomplished using "Fergy" my 1552 compact tractor:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Sky

The hood and grill assembly were removed for access and the motor came out relatively easy after that:

Automotive lighting Gas mask Gas Personal protective equipment Wood

The motor concerned me because when I picked it up the spark plug was missing. As soon as I got it home I dumped a bunch of Marvel Mystery Oil in the hole and capped it with an old plug. Once the motor came out I found that it turned over by hand so my hopes are up. I dropped it off at my father-in-law's yesterday and he will begin tearing it down (he's retired) for me.

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Nice! Sorry I missed your call Saturday, give me a call tonight on my cell phone...

Were you able to see if it had spark? If I am right, those older Tec's did not have the SSI colis like the newer ones. I can not remember, but I think they were points too. Make sure you take plenty of photos as you go, it's great to have them to go back on! Talk to you soon, it's going to be a fun project!

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Can't wait to see it progress. That one is definitely a good candidate as any for restoration. I really like Fergy and your method of retrieving the MF10 LOL.

·
Live long and prosper
6,787 Posts
I will follow this one. Looks like you are off to a good start. I really like the picture of big brother holding little brother.

·
Tractorholic
432 Posts
Sure look like a nice one to redo. I just about have my 1966 done, not a real good job but I learned a lot.

·
Tractorholic
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure I have a lot to learn as well! I've restored/refurbished a few IH cub cadets over the years but this will be my first MF. I'm hoping to learn a lot from the folks here! Thanks for the encouraging comments!

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
IamSherwood said:
Looks to be in not too bad shape.
You'll enjoy driving that varispeed.

Lookin forward to more updates.
:ditto:And you got lots of parts, make the best 1 out of the 2

·
Tractorholic
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Progress! I stopped by my father-in-law's last night. He had the motor partially torn down. Things look....great! The cylinder wall is perfect, glass-like in fact; no scratches, no ridges. All the bearings look like their new and are tight. No end play on the shaft. The little push rod for the points is locked up pretty tight but he said that is very common. I have my list to try to find:
1. Complete engine set, gaskets, seals
2. Complete master carb kit
3. set of standard rings
4. Points
5. Condensor
6. Muffler

I guess I'll look at parts tree and Pat's for these parts....any suggestions?

I have some engine sheet metal to clean up and paint; hopefully I can get some pics this weekend. Speaking of paint, where can I get Flint metallic grey in spray cans?

Thanks!

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Flint metallic grey is readily available at the MF dealers up here in Ontario.
If you don't have one handy, I think Napa has a substitute. I think the code
is listed in the stickies.

Yeah here they are.

Codes to go to NAPA

54958 silver mist metallic

94941 red rouge

94939 metallic grey​

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
DMF said:
NAPA will have these in spray cans?
I don't know if Napa has them in spray cans or not. I know they have it in quarts and gallons.

·
Tractorholic
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yikes....intial parts requests are not going well. Points and condensor are NLA; rings are backorder with no available ETA....help!

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Isn't there a couple of places that sell the rings for the engines?

·
Tractorholic
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NUTNDUN said:
Isn't there a couple of places that sell the rings for the engines?
I tried partstree.com, Pats came back stating that the model number isn't in their system.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Here is the page on parts tree that has all of the HH100's listed: Parts and Diagrams for Tecumseh ES12-4-33835

You will have to measure the bore of the cylinder to make sure you get the right rings. Are you sure the points need replaced? You can probably just clean them up and go to an auto parts store like napa and have them match up a condenser that is the same size.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts

·
Tractorholic
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks George. Mine is a model HH-100-115033A; their chart starts with a "C". I'm not sure what the differences are...?

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I don't know what the letter reference means. All of the ones I took a quick glance at had the SSI coil on them. Like I mentioned earlier, I would get a bore measurement so you know what size rings you need. The ones I linked to on ebay that guy has them listed as being 3" and the model numbers I looked at in partstree were showing 3 5/16" for the standard bore size. So I don't know which one is right or wrong or if they are both wrong.

I would also check your points, they may just need cleaned up and more then likely are in good shape. You can match up the condenser to another one at the auto parts store, that is what we did with dad's wisconsin in his Bolens 1053.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts