Well, I started in on my "new" Snapper 1855 a couple days ago. When I bought it, the guy I bought it from said the carb was messed up. Well, the carb wasn’t that bad but it had several other issues. I did clean the carb and all the parts were there except one of the screws that hold the air cleaner on. The integral pump may be an issue as the diaphragm was not very flexible. Someone had added an external pump but had both lines plugged into the output ports. What were they thinking? Took that juryrig off and ran the vacuum pulse line back to the original pump. The tank was off so I dumped a little gas into the carb and gave the starter a spin. At least it turned over but never fired and sounded uneven when it spun. Disappointment! Pulled the plugs and checked for fire. No fire with the starter spinning but when I released the key I would see a spark or two while the engine was spinning down. Interesting. That’s when I found the ignition switch was Toro. Then I ran a wire straight from the battery to the coil and tried it again and, yes, we have fire! Put the plugs back in, dumped in some gas and gave her another spin and she kicked off and ran for a few seconds. I should have been thrilled but you could tell she was only hitting on one side. Pulled the plugs again and put my thumb over the holes and spun it again and sure enough it only had compression on one cylinder and you could hear it huffing through the carb. Major disappointment! After crying for a while, I pulled the head expecting to find a valve embedded in the piston or something of the sort. The intake valve was stuck open and after a little investigation I found the third screw for the air cleaner. Major relief! Put her all back together and tried her again. She fired up and ran on both cylinders for a few seconds. Put the tank back on, dumped in some gas and fired her up and she ran but was rough. After wasting a day messing with the carb I finally figured out the condenser was bad. Replaced it with one from a Kohler and she purrs like a kitten. New switch and carb kit is on the way but now it looks like my regulator is bad. 15VAC in (at idle) but zero volts out. Oh well, one step at a time.