Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
This thread is actually a continuation of one on Diesel tractors where I told of my first ride on a diesel Gt, and also the three JDs I recently bought-- 2 JD317s, and a 420.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

I have some questions on the 420 and thought it best to start a new thread.

First off, here's a picture of the tractor, and some pics of the attachments--including a modified Johnson FEL. It also came with a 60" deck, 3ph, scraper blade, dethatcher and aerator.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Plant Grass Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Sky

The B48 Onan runs well, though it blows a little blue smoke when you rev it up. The hydro has what I would consider to be normal hydro whine, and the power steering and hydraulics all work.

However, as is the case whenever you buy something used, you always find little problems after you get it home. In this case, my biggest concern right now is that the front axle is badly worn on the right side--clear thru the bushing where the kingpin goes into the axle-- see picture.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Is this something that can be repaired? If so, how? I need to use the front end loader and am concerned about boring out the axle and sleeving it as the thinner walls might crack...

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,

Utah Smitty

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,608 Posts
Smitty, I would get it torn down and really see what you have. Maybe the spindle is worn and not the axle. I'm sure one of our Site Sponsors has a good axle if you need one.

That is one great looking 420 and attachments you got there. :thumbs:

Reactions: Utah Smitty

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Very nice Smitty. Attachments !! You got a real nice package there. The loader puts a lot of stress on the front end. That spindle looks all wrong somehow. I wonder if someone took the bushing out and never replaced it. Have you checked the parts diagrams on JDParts.com to see if the bushings are still available. They are replaceable and should wear faster than the spindle. I think the spindles would be available used from our sponsors.

·
Super Moderator
55,283 Posts
Smitty, I'm with TD&H. Pull the spindle and see what you really have. If the axle hole is out of round, might be worthwhile to find a new axle since you have a loader for it!

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
I have to agree with others and say break it down and see what you have got.

If I remeber right those are bushings and not bearings in the axle. As long as the Spindle is not worn or has not worn into the axle casting it should just need new bushings pressed in. And as long as it is not excessive I don't think you would weaken the axle by reaming and going slightly oversize on the bushings.

That is one tough axle!

In a worst case Scenario(Hate to even suggest that) The P.F. Engineering site, google it (they sell plans for loaders and backhoes for GT's)

They have a section called "2,000 lb spindle mods" that offers several methods of modifying the spindles for heavy use.

They use traier axle stubs and hubs.

Good luck you have the machine I have dreamed about on my little acreage!!

·
Tractorholic
407 Posts
Smitty:

Nice tractor and attachments, though I have had trouble with the smell of diesel ever since I rode a Grayhound bus straight thru and back to Washington DC. That was almost 50 years ago.

I agree with the advice above, check the spindle for a worn bushing. I replaced the bushings in my JD 318, and it made a big difference. I found the part number in JDParts, and then found a supplier, MFG Supply, online.

They were $2.85 apiece and the shipping was $6.99.

By the way, I have the 420 Operator's Manual as a PDF, if you want it.

Harlan

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck you have the machine I have dreamed about on my little acreage!!
Ah, yes, and you have the acreage I've dreamed about!!

Some friends in our church have let us use part of their land for a garden. I offered to keep the pasture there mowed to return the favor. The JD 420 comes in very helpful in that regard!!!

Regards,

Smitty

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
n

Ah, yes, and you have the acreage I've dreamed about!!

Some friends in our church have let us use part of their land for a garden. I offered to keep the pasture there mowed to return the favor. The JD 420 comes in very helpful in that regard!!!

Regards,

Smitty
Well the acreage was a life long dream that I had nearly given up on. When I lost my home in 2010 I had to relocate.

After looking at 45 places that did not seem right. This one came up and seemed out of reach. They wanted $10,000 more Than I could spend and they had already come down $12,000 off original price.. I offered them $7,000 less than they wanted and was amazed when they took it? I could not possibly have bought it if God had not interceeded on my behalf!!

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the acreage was a life long dream that I had nearly given up on. When I lost my home in 2010 I had to relocate.

After looking at 45 places that did not seem right. This one came up and seemed out of reach. They wanted $10,000 more Than I could spend and they had already come down $12,000 off original price.. I offered them $7,000 less than they wanted and was amazed when they took it? I could not possibly have bought it if God had not interceeded on my behalf!!
Indeed!! The Good Lord has interceded for me many times...more than I can remember. I guess when things are right I'll be able to realize that dream as well.

Smitty

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it looks like the spindle is badly worn, as is the axle-- clear through the bushing and into the bore... I've found several axles for sale at reasonable prices, including one for a 430 at Joe's --will it fit the 420?

My next concern is the spindle. Haven't found any for a 420. There are some for a 400 and a 425. Will these fit in okay? I don't mind having to modify the tie rod brackets.

Thanks,

Smitty

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All front axle components of the 420 & 430 are identical parts, axle beam, spindles, bushings....everything. 400 & 425 ARE NOT a MATCH ON ANYTHING.
Thanks, Daniel, good to know.

I'll get the one from Joe's, then work on repairing this spindle or making another.

Smitty

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I finally got the FEL installed. Then I loaded it up to go and clean it off at the car wash. Here's a couple pics.

Smitty Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Green Tractor
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Attachments

Reactions: KennyP

·
My projects take longer so I enjoy them more...
4,939 Posts
Quite the machine! That loader bucket looks HUGE.

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quite the machine! That loader bucket looks HUGE.
It's decent sized. The PO took a Johnson Workhorse 10T loader and widened it about 10". Still has the original cylinders, though so it will only lift about 300 lbs.

I just picked up a JD 317 with a cobbled-together loader that has larger cylinders and larger arms, etc. I'm thinking of swapping it and cleaning up some of the sloppy work on it.

Smitty

·
Super Moderator
55,283 Posts
Wow! 2 Loaders? Lucky!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.