Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
A few years ago when I started a sideline sharpening business I also did some hand saw work seeing as how I have the machines to do it. Then I started to collect the original Disston Hand Saws. Usually picked them up at auctions for a couple bucks for a hand full. The junk ones were tossed, but a couple I used the blade where ever I needed a piece of spring steel. Works great to replace the broken kill tab on the old single engines.

At present I have 38 different models of Disston hand saws, all refurbished, sharpened and on display. If you have an old hand saw that has the word Disston on the medallion on the grip, I may be interested in buying it. Send me a photo of the grip and the entire saw and will see what you have. These saws were made out on the East cost so should be plentiful out there. Musical instrument Wood Gas Composite material Hardwood

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
55,380 Posts
Those were good hand saws!

Reactions: chieffan

·
Homelite Owner Extraordinaire
3,175 Posts
Saw sharpening is a lost art. I still sharpen my hand saws by hand with a vise and hand set. We can't find anyone local here anymore that sharpens circular saws. Most of us have carbide tipped blades and no one does this any more. Nice collection of saws. I have about 9 and they are all older than heck. Thanks. Roger.

·
Super Moderator
6,636 Posts
My father always said, let the saw do the work, the meaning is , don't force the saw to cut. I have a few of dads old saws, I must look at them. But, none of mine are for sale.

Noel

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems all the saws I find are rusty and pitted.
A lot of them will still clean up good with the right method. Just don't use sandpaper or a sanding disc on them.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Saw sharpening is a lost art. I still sharpen my hand saws by hand with a vise and hand set. We can't find anyone local here anymore that sharpens circular saws. Most of us have carbide tipped blades and no one does this any more. Nice collection of saws. I have about 9 and they are all older than heck. Thanks. Roger.
As far as I know the closest ones that sharpen here are both 35 miles away. I can sharpen the carbide as well as steel. Can do it all with the hand saws. Recondition, sharped, set, re-tooth, repair the totes or grips, some call it the handle. Fun to work the rust off the blade and see that original etching start to show up.

Reactions: hamman

·
Registered
477 Posts
My grandfather had some hand saws , when he wanted them sharpen he would take them to a man in down town st.louis . This old man had a peddle cart and he would peddle all over the area sharpen any thing scissors, knifes, saws , He would hand write you a receipt , tag your item and then he tell you were he would be to pick it up, or he come back to area . Wow you don't see that any more .

Patrick.

·
Tractorholic
1,726 Posts
I have clean a lot of steel using an angle grinder with a wire brush.

Using an angle grinder with a a wire brush - it burnish the steel, does not grind way the steel.

You have to have a light touch. Remember you are only to remove the rust.

Only work one direction, also work away from the area that you cleaned.

Using a solid brass brush works great on aluminum, which should also work on saws.

·
Tractorholic
3,414 Posts
Yup east coast for sure, Fitchburg MA to be persise. They were made by the Simonds Saw and Steel company way back when... I work for them ;-) , of coarse they sold off or discontinued all the good stuff many moons ago, now they only make bandsaw blade and giant circular saw teeth and shanks there now. Files are made in Honduras, saw disc or blades are in Michigan, and machinery is made in Portland Oregon.
At one time we made it all in Fitchburg, with well over 3000 employees, now..... Maybe 80... And the bi-metal and carbide bandsaw may be going to japan.......

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Once apon a million years ago I ment humphry bogarts cusin" Rene bogart" he was a professional musical saw player, every big band back in the 20's and 30's had one, this guy had a talent I never knew excisted.and the sound the saw produced was mezmoriseingly haunting. it was a saw made by only one company do you know of them?

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have clean a lot of steel using an angle grinder with a wire brush.

Using an angle grinder with a a wire brush - it burnish the steel, does not grind way the steel.

You have to have a light touch. Remember you are only to remove the rust.

Only work one direction, also work away from the area that you cleaned.

Using a solid brass brush works great on aluminum, which should also work on saws.
Refurbishing an old hand saw is a lot different than cleaning up old iron. Quickest way to ruin a hand saw is to put an angle grinder to it. If your cleaning it up for a painting, fine to use that angle grinder as you will cover it all up any way. A brass brush will work in some cases. White vinegar, a brush and lot of hand work with plenty of water and fine grade wet or dry finishing paper. It can take 2 to 3 hours to clean up the blade.

Ever wonder why the tote on the real old hand saws had a small opening for the fingers? Because you only need room for three fingers. The index finger is supposed to point down the blade of the saw to guide it.

If you come up with an old Disston and want it identified send me PM with a photo of the left side of the tote and the blade and will see what I can do.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup east coast for sure, Fitchburg MA to be persise. They were made by the Simonds Saw and Steel company way back when... I work for them ;-) , of coarse they sold off or discontinued all the good stuff many moons ago, now they only make bandsaw blade and giant circular saw teeth and shanks there now. Files are made in Honduras, saw disc or blades are in Michigan, and machinery is made in Portland Oregon.
At one time we made it all in Fitchburg, with well over 3000 employees, now..... Maybe 80... And the bi-metal and carbide bandsaw may be going to japan.......
Simonds was a completely different company than Disston. Disston was in Philadelphia, PA.. Henry Disston was from Sweden where he learned the saw trade. Company was eventually sold to to Sandvich (sp) steel work in Sweden.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One thing to watch when you sharpen by hand is keeping the cutting edge straight. Many time hand sharpening will work and curve in the teeth due to more file strokes to get the most used part sharp. Takes a machine to get that back out again. Some will get so bad that it is better to run them through the re-toother a couple times and start over again.

Carbide blades takes a special machine and diamond cutting wheels. Diamond wheels start at around $125 each. Some cheap carbide blades cannot be sharpened due to the irregularities in tooth spacing and and distance from dead center. The machines can cost as much as your house for the computer controlled units. Mine is a hand operated and got it real cheap but had to drive 300 miles to get it.

Reactions: hamman
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.