Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I posted this on Smokstak and also wanted to post it here.

Since my brother and I were quite young, up until 1995, my family would visit my Great Uncle Joe and Great Aunt Rosie in Cole Camp, Mo. They owned 400+ acres full of woods to explore and a pond to fish from. Lotta Rock Ranch it is called, these were some of the very best years of my life. With all that acreage is was quite a modest homestead, a cinder block house built with there own hands starting back in 1946 at $8 an acre. Fast forward to the 1990s. My Aunt passed away early on and my Uncle passed away in 1995. I was the last one to take a deer from that property in '95 before he passed. As kids we would sometimes ride on and play on this Panzer tractor, Ive got pictures of us somewhere. The story goes that back in the 1960s an acquaintance of my Great Uncles was lent some money and after some time passing and unable to pay back my Uncle the acquaintance gave my Uncle this Panzer. Years after my Uncle had passed away I would now and then inquire to his oldest son Joe Jr. about the Panzer, he always thought he would get to work on it and get it going again. He passed away this last Dec. but not before we had spoke again a few times, he then said he would speak with his two sons and daughter about the Panzer, he passed away less than a week later. Some time had passed after the memorial and I spoke with his oldest son about the tractor, he recalled his dad mentioning it and me. Fast forward to a couple of days ago and the Panzer, my personal Holy Grail is now home. Below are the photos of that day, the tractor had been sitting in the corner of that barn for close to 40 years. I am extremely proud and look very much forward to getting this rare Panzer up and running again, I cant wait for that first ride. It is a 1962 model T-707ESL with factory duals and hydraulic bucket loader. Thats my brother in the white shirt and my cousin Joe III.

Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Im debating whether to do a full restoration, which would make it pretty much a show piece (trailer queen), or leave it as found but give it a good cleaning and a complete mechanical restoration to where I could actually use the tractor if I wanted but still be more than proud to show it. I wouldnt mind hearing some opinions.

·
Bush Hog Hoarder
2,361 Posts
Im debating whether to do a full restoration, which would make it pretty much a show piece (trailer queen), or leave it as found but give it a good cleaning and a complete mechanical restoration to where I could actually use the tractor if I wanted but still be more than proud to show it. I wouldnt mind hearing some opinions.
It's only original once. In rust we trust I say! I'd leave it alone, give it a good power wash then work on the mechanics, then be done.

Use it and enjoy it!

·
I said I work on them. I never said I fix them&#3
2,426 Posts
That thing is SWEET! Love the story too. I'm a sucker for stories like that involving old iron. Great way to hang on to the memories!

·
Super Moderator
14,183 Posts
Nice Panzer. I've never seen that front loader arrangement before. I would do a restoration, not to make it a trailer queen, but to preserve it from further rust while I used it. It's strictly your call. Whatever you decide it would be nice to see the repairs or restoration documented here.

·
Homelite Owner Extraordinaire
3,175 Posts
I have only seen one other like that with a loader and rear duals. It was all restored and looked awesome. Personally I prefere the " In The Work Clothes " look for my tractors. I also use my tractors. We have three Allis Chalmers farm tractors, two WD and one WC. As we get them going we are going to leave them as we got them, ready to work. My opinon is cleanit and make sure it is mechanicly sound and preserve it that way by using it and showing it. Nothing says you can't have a show ready tractor that is also ready to work. I would think that your uncle would be proud that you are going to redo this tractor to useable status. Congratulations on getting it. Please keep us informed as you go along with it. It has a history of you and you have a history with it. Good luck. Can't wait to see it cleaned up and ready to run. Thanks for sharing with us. Roger.

·
Live long and prosper
6,796 Posts
I'm glad you were able to get it. I like tractors to work and wear working clothes. It sounds pretty rare, so if you don't use it, you may want to show it off.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: Savageman

·
Registered
46 Posts
Awesome tractor. That is one Model Panzer I really wish I had. According to a buddy of mine there was only 200 hundred of the T707esl Panzers built.
I corrected my first post, yes it is the model T707ESL, not the T707ES. Thanks. You are correct on the 200 built, I spoke with Jim Haynes of Dandy Sales yesterday and he confirmed this.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Tire Wheel Tractor Green Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tractor Vehicle
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Tractor

There's something to be said about both restoring and/or leaving as original. Thanks for taking the time to tell us the story behind it.
Here's some pics of another T-707esl I found at the Olde Tyme Days show in Dover, PA last year. This one belongs to Lee Wentzel of Denver, PA.

Big AL

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thank you for the photos, Ive had a tough time finding much in the way of T707ESL pictures. Sharp.
Yeah, there isn't much about that model out there. Another thing I heard is that one of the T707esl was leaving the factory or something, An the truck carrying it had a accident and the T707esl was so busted up that they just scrapped it.

·
Old Iron Junky
1,359 Posts
Congrats on Panzer! On a tractor like that I would leave it alone (paint wise). You can't replicate patina like that. Take it to shows like it is. You will get a lot more compliments on it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.