Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anyone know who owns this tractor, or anything about it? Soon I would like to start in on the spare frame and building the chassis for the narrow front 12. I have decided on the front wheels and I the next step is to start cutting the old axle mount off the parts frame. Anyway, I REALLY want to know more about this tractor.

What I want to find out is what is done at the rear... It appears to be running maybe 26" rear tires, but seems to have stock clearance at the side steps and the seat pan. I am thinking that this just may have a lift kit on the axle. I know I have seen it done on these axle, but I would LOVE to find out more. I found the photo on the net in someones flicker account ages ago.

PS: I am looking at these tires on the front. They seem expensive at Harbor Freight ($27.99) But the width and pattern is decent, and they come with rims. Plus, they are a foam rubber tire that is kind of a "run flat" idea.

This should be the tire...

The tread is not that deep though so I have not decided fully yet. I could still cut down another set of Massey wheels and run tri-ribs on them. I will have to see how my tri-ribs seem to fit the "look". Otherwise, I would need to find a set of 6" wheels that are narrow, or that could be cut down. (Hmmm.... I may have a set off a lawn tractor too!)

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Yep, I know Mikes, but he went with 15" Caravan wheels... This tractor seems to have 12" wheels. To run the 15" wheels and tires, Mike also had to place a lift under his seat pan. I want to keep the seat pan on the frame. I am not fully sold on the 15" wheels either for myself. I flip flop on them a lot, but I just fully like the way this one sits. (Other than the cobbled steering drag link)

The other thing I noticed, is that the plate that the center pivot is attached to, is recessed about 1" into the frame to tuck it up a little higher. I may try to remove the cross braces (temp removal) and tuck the steering way up into the frame. This may require clearance via a hole when the brace is welded back in, but if I can tuck the pivot in higher and lower the total height of the front frame this way, the less I need to raise on the rear. Plus, it would clean up the steering linkage.

·
1,499 Posts
That tractor isn't mine but it does look very nicely done! Here is a picture of the narrow front I built.

I have a write up about the build in the custom section under garden tractors by brand and an article on the front page. I use 6.70x15 rear ag tires which are about 27 inches high. I raise the seat pan up by 1 1/2 inches to clear the tires. the front tires are wheelbarrow rims with the center bearing tube shortened and I used 4.00 x 6 tri rib tires.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
See here is the other odd thing... IF the tractor I posted had any sort of axle lift, then the design of the mount wants to push the axle forward, and slightly down. I am not sure if the downward angle is enough to overcome the forward push. With the 23" tires, the clearance at the "mud flap" behind the foot board is already close. Now I guess, you could move the mount forward and cut the running board down a little to fix that. The 26" tire is just 1.5" closer in the stock location. (Giver or take really crappy tire spec's)

Here is a photo I found lifting the axle via lift blocks on a JD.

Here is the design which I will follow for the front pivot. The tube is from a spare rear axle (which I have already) The rest of the parts will need to be hand made. Note the notch cut out on the axle tube for the steering arm.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
The picture you posted the rear tires look like stock size on stock rims, maybe 9.50s, that tractor looks like the front is higher (hard to tell from picture) where Mikes looks like it sits more level.

added if you zoom in on your picture there is a name Gary+Barb from.....

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
I know it's VERY close and hard to tell... but I sat here with a photo of my tractor with AG's and this one on another screen and I am pretty sure they are taller. If you compare them from the rim bead to the top of the tread, they really seem to have more "tire". Not only that, look at the huge clearance under the side step. This also leads me to think this tractor is lifted at the rear axle. That clearance is way more that stock. Going bu the rims in the front, those are 6" wheels in the front too... the same tires as Mikes conversion.

This is what has me baffeled! IF they were stock tires, the frame can not be lifted higher, because the space at the seat pan and fender still look stock. The only way to achieve the height, and stock lines would be a larger tire with a lifted axle (or frame to be accurate)

Here are my 23" tires

Now look at the tractor, look at the rim bead to where the tread lugs start. Both tires look very close, but the NF seems to have more sidewall on the tire. (We only need about 1.5" of sidewall for a 26" tire remember)

·
1,499 Posts
I am not sure what size tires he was using. Here is a picture of the 23x8.50x12 I used on the allisgator and then some 26x12x12 I used on my massey.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks on the zoom! I had not noticed that... I can kind of make out that the tractor may be owned by Gary & Barb "Bradferd" From New (K -something- le) Ohio. I am going to drop that info on LAGC's facebook page to see if I can get a hit too.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
The rear looks stock to me, and I'd say they are 23x8.50's....I know they are 23's.

·
39 Posts
Looks to me like "New Knoxville" (a real place - I checked Google Maps)

FirefyterEmt said:
Thanks on the zoom! I had not noticed that... I can kind of make out that the tractor may be owned by Gary & Barb "Bradferd" From New (K -something- le) Ohio. I am going to drop that info on LAGC's facebook page to see if I can get a hit too.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks a million, I sent that e-mail a message, so we shall see!

·
Tractorholic
507 Posts
FirefyterEmt said:
I know it's VERY close and hard to tell... but I sat here with a photo of my tractor with AG's and this one on another screen and I am pretty sure they are taller. If you compare them from the rim bead to the top of the tread, they really seem to have more "tire". Not only that, look at the huge clearance under the side step. This also leads me to think this tractor is lifted at the rear axle. That clearance is way more that stock. Going bu the rims in the front, those are 6" wheels in the front too... the same tires as Mikes conversion.

This is what has me baffeled! IF they were stock tires, the frame can not be lifted higher, because the space at the seat pan and fender still look stock. The only way to achieve the height, and stock lines would be a larger tire with a lifted axle (or frame to be accurate)

Here are my 23" tires

Now look at the tractor, look at the rim bead to where the tread lugs start. Both tires look very close, but the NF seems to have more sidewall on the tire. (We only need about 1.5" of sidewall for a 26" tire remember)

Check the front tire height against the grill in both pictures. The 6'" wheels have 13" tall tires and the 8" wheels have 16" tall tires. A difference of 3" in diameter, and there appears to be at least 3" from the top of the smaller tire to the same point that the larger tire reaches. The front end is sitting at or very close to stock height which would indicate that the rear tires are 23". If they were 26", then there would be a definite tilt forward for the tractor.

I expanded my sceen to 400% and scaled the rear tires and rims from bead seat to bead seat and bead seat to tread and came up with a tire diameter of 23-24". Even going by overall diameter and bead seat to bead seat at 250%, it still comes out to no more than 24", allowing for parallax error.

For a final check, I placed a straight edge along the bottom of the step in each picture. It hits the wheels in both pictures at the same place, right at the break from the mounting flange on the spyder, indicating no lift of the axle.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Bob!... Now I feel really guilty for not posting back that the owner got back to me and they are 23" tires. The fronts are the 3.50 x 6's too. He does not have a lift on the rear end, and the tri-pod is a custom built kinda like Tractormikes.

He answered my questions, but did not really give a lot of "extra" info, so I did not push. (Multi-paragraph e-mails replied with one quick sentence, kind of deal) But it did give me the info I needed, I might just be able to build this new chassis with the stock rear axle and tire set up! This means that I can keep my fender pan with the liner in it! I had planned to modify another seat pan with slightly damaged fenders and build lifted fenders like the farm tractor has.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts