Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The plate has a little bit of an angle where the mounting holes are. Should the plate be mounted so that it angles up?

·
Registered
181 Posts
pappysMF,

I can't answer your question. Not sure I have that plate? I will have to look.

But could you take some additional pictures of the process that you did to install them? I will have to remove the knockouts.Not sure how the rubber gaskets go in. I will be doing this on my MF8H sometimes this spring.

BTW do you have info on where the rear tail light mounts on the tractor? I got one with my light kit and am not sure where it goes? Was a rear light even a option or was this a add on item?

Regards,

Chris

·
Getting Out!
8,205 Posts
Think the bend just makes it stiffer when tightened down maybe? Looks right in that one picture. NOT sure what rubber or such might have been on the area to cushion the lights? I had a bigger Massey and not remembering how they were in that one. YOu have a parts manual with blow-up picture to see what was used or needed for that area? That would be best bet. Might have those on here if you looked in Manuals section. I would use fiber lock-nuts there as I don't think you want to torque too tight and still want them to stay in place.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replays guys, I installed the plate with the bend facing up. It makes the most since that way and looks the best. But it sure looks like it would be a nice place for grass and dirt to lay.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sugarmaker, here are some pictures of how I have mine. My rear light should be fairly close to OEM. I took the picture with the seat mount holes exposed so you can see how it lines up.

Also, I included some other pictures of how the headlights are mounted. They are pretty straight forward as long as I did mine correctly?

I put the gromlets in the holes, held the headlights against the rubber and used the mounting plate to hold the lights against the rubber. Let me know if I can help out any other way.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It didn't have any fiber on it when I got it but I did see a 8 once that had a insulation like material packed up in there and around the headlights. It looked original?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Headlights looks like they are mounted the same as th 14's Just took orginal lights out to change and thats the way they were mounted

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks folks for the pictures and comments on the lights

pappysmf,

Especially the tail light location. Your doing a great job. Maybe it will help me get going on my 8 someday?

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Sugarmaker, we are about 90% complete but ready for the show this weekend. After the show we may tear it down again and paint the frame and wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
pappysMF,

That 8 Looks very good! Have fun at the show and take a bunch of pictures for us too. Will you be judged? Are the rear weights original?

I see your hood has a small lip where cut out for the engine. My original hood did not have that? And my hood from the 7 will just have a cut out no bent lip.

I see you have the small knob on the lever that allows you to push the tractor, (takes the hydro to free wheeling mode) I need a small 1/4-20 threaded knob for the hood latch. I forgot to ask Rick when got the other parts.

Regards,

Chris

·
1,087 Posts
Those weights are very hard to find. Only seen 1 set for sale ever. I was wondering I those would work on the front of the 16,1855's looks like the same rim used. Never have checked that out yet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We will certainly have fun at the show, it's going to be nice getting out to a show while it's still cold and my 11 year old is excited to show his new toy. He's already trying to bet me his little Massey will get more attention than my big Massey...LOL!

I was told from the gentleman that I purchased the 8 from that he was told they are original weights. Not sure how I would ever know for sure but it did also come with a snow blade so chances are very good. They were definitely one of the buying points when I found the 8.

About the lip, this is a electric start engine. I'm wondering if your hood without the lip would have came off a pull start engine?

Yeah, that hydro release lever is a must but it is kinda awkward to use especially when trying to push the tractor. The lever needs pulled and held while you are trying to push. It's like your mind playing tricks on your body while trying to do it. It would be nice if it locked in place. My JD hydro locks, just makes it much easier.

Speaking of locking, would these tractors by chance come with a latch that would hold the rear fender pan from hitting the tires when lifted? I notice when I lift my fender pan it hits both the tires and the cross bracket sheet metal piece. Even just a small cable like what hold the hood would be great. I was just wondering if something was originally there before I make something.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My engine has electric start and pull cord start too. I think it is a replacement engine. so still not sure about my old hood correctness??

Nice to have the rare rear weights! Makes sense if you had a blade with it.

Sounds like the rear fender cable would be a good idea. I see mine hits too.

Where is your show again?

Hope you and your son have a great time!

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sugarmaker, the show was at the Lebanon Fair Grounds in Lebanon PA. It was a first time grass roots show that had the atmosphere of a well seasoned event. Josh did an excellent job at organizing the event and had well over 200 finely restored pieces on site to admire.

We had a great time at the show and even had Classic Tractor Fever interview my son and I for a upcoming episode of the TV show. We were super excited and honored to be asked to show and tell our tractors. A memory I am sure my son will not soon forget.

Attachments

·
1,087 Posts
That's great to hear. Your right,your son should remember that forever.Two great looking tractors you have there.great work

1 - 20 of 21 Posts