Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Craftsman 856C & 857C
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I am in need of help & advice, because my tractor has little to no spark. I brought it to my local fair for the tractor show about 2 weeks ago, I pushed it on the trailer to bring it there and pushed it off the trailer when I got to the grounds then fired it up. It ran for about 1 minute then died then would not restart. It has not restarted since then but it turns over just fine. I need to buy a voltage regulator for it because the battery does not charge, so I was thinking of buying one from Norman at ISaveTractors. Please let me know if I should get one from him or elsewhere. That I don't believe would stop making it run though.

The main problem right now for me is the spark so it can actually fire and run, it has a very small amount to none at all. We tried different plugs and that does not seem to be the issue. When we meter the small wire to the magneto it shows a circuit. Now should it show a circuit or show it be open??

Thanks for everyone's input in advance, I appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
54,343 Posts
An idea of what engine you are talking about would be a pus for someone to offer help.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An idea of what engine you are talking about would be a pus for someone to offer help.
A 10 horsepower Tecumseh, model number starting with 143 if that helps any

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Might need a little more than that. Can you post some pictures or more of the model number.?

·
Registered
Ingersoll 224, 1989
38 Posts
Points, condenser and magneto/coil. Check them all. I had the same problem and for my Kohler K321 it ended up being the coil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would Like what ingersoll244 said Check the points condenser and coil or just replace the coil all together and points but it could just be a quick points clean up with a points file or sandpaper depending on what you have available.

Good Luck

Sean

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
If its a hh100 tecumseh electronic ignition we could be thinking differently.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh Im off guys if its a tecumseh it may be solid state i wouldnt know ever had a tecumseh all i know is not to get solid states Yeah I would think if its a solid state that would be why I have a friend who bought a sears with a rebranded tecumseh as craftsman and it has a solid state he bought it for 50 bucks and got it working, Somehow. But about a few runs later the solid state crapped out and now hes looking for other options I just told him to swap in a briggs.Yeah anyway if its a solid state coil its probably that

Good luck

Sean

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know some people were asking what the model number of my engine, it is 143-579022

·
Super Moderator
54,343 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts