Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and my grand-father died a few weeks ago so I inherited of his Cub Cadet C-175H (around 2007-2008 I would say) garden tractor. Last year before he store the tractor for the winter it goes pretty well. It was stored into a barn BTW. But this spring when I tried to start it to bring it home, I never succeed to start it.

First of all, battery is dead... not a big surprise especially because it seem to flow a little bit from the plugs. Anyway a kindly neighbour of my grand-father bring me a brand new marine battery and even with the new battery on the tractor, the starter spin very slowly and very jerkily like if it still miss power! After a few minute we dismiss because the starter begin to smell overheated and becoming a little hot (not that much but we didn't take chance).

The tractor were well maintained, oil were changer last autumn (not missing oil), the gas smell normal and my grand-father put some gasoline stabilizer in the tank. Only problem is my grand-father always stored (after each use) the tractor into a very humid barn on clay! Even if the tractor is rather new, it have much rust everywhere.

Do you think the starter may be stuck after winter storage? I checked for a loose wire somewhere and everything seem to be pretty solid. There's some verdigris on most wires obviously but contact still seem solid and good I think.

I can't find the owner manual of the tractor and technical information are pretty hard to find on the internet for this specific model. I only discover the engine is actually a Tecumseh OVH180 and the tractor itself is known as MTD 600-Series compact tractor... it's pretty hard to find reliable technical informations because in a single tractor series you can get like 10 variances with 5 different engines/transmission combination!!

Thank you very much for your help!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you JDBrian!

I'm gonna begin by removing the entire hood assembly then I'm gonna make a pressure wash of engine bay with orange engine cleaner/degreaser because there's rotten grass and other crap everywhere in the engine bay! After a good cleanup I'm gonna see things better! :thumbs:

But for now the battery is dead and it seem to have leaked a little bit around the filling plugs, I'm not gonna take a chance to put it on a charger... because I already put a dead marine battery (not that old, like 4 years old) on the charger and the filling plugs blow up in the air after a few hours because fluid are boiling inside (kinda)! I'm gonna buy a new one I think.

I can't see ANY informations on the actual battery because the label are gone. How many starting amps do I need? I saw a 180A at Walmart for 20$, is that enough? Or I see a 280A (or is it 300A maybe?) at Costco for 40$... Walmart is on my way back home tonight, but otherwise I can go to Costco tomorrow.

Thank you!!

PS: Here's a few pictures I took of all information labels I found on the tractor...

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally it turned out that my starter was completely dead (melted internals components) and I also used a too small battery for the tractor. I put a new starter (50$ eBay) and a 300A battery (50$ Walmart) and tractor start on 1/4 turn!! Now I need to do the full tune-up of the engine (spark plug, oil/filter change, fuel filter and air filter).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.