Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of putting a electronic ignition of the Onan, 1980 model. If I put the magnet for the trigger on the flywheel will it work? The thing would fire every cycle. Is there a post where this has been done?

Thanks Mike

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Please someone correct me if i am wrong. The coil will need to be changed to a P series coil.
I think he's talking about putting a home brew system together, much like is done with Tecumseh HH engines when the expensive NLA electronic ignitions go down. The coil needed would depend on the type system installed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking at the Pertronix unit for cars. They are about $80. and consist of the magnet ring ,electronic module and mounting hardware for whatever car . The module is small and fits inside the cars distributer. I am thinking of taking one magnet out of the ring and mounting it on the flywheel,mounting the module where the magnet will pass close and trigger the module. I hope to use the Onan's coil. The module just replaces the points . If I buy one I will play with it and see if it will fire the coil.

Thanks for all the replys and info.

Mike

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't remove a magnet from the flywheel, that is if you are speaking of the ones that power the stator, as you need all of them there for proper charge capacity. A tiny rare earth magnet would do fine & not affect the balance of the flywheel.

This ebay seller lists several sizes & shapes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-8mm-x-1mm-Super-Strong-Round-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-Magnets-Magnet-Kid-Toy-/290896645453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43baca8d4d
I was going to remove a magnet from the ring of magnets that comes with the ignition module. There are 8 in the ring for an 8cyl car.

Thanks for the link.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.