Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello; I have recently purchased an Economy Power King 2414 along with a snow blade, 48" snow blower, 48" mower deck, rear grader blade and cultivator/spring tooth.

Tractor runs and hydraulic all works, its really in decent shape considering I'm in the upper Midwest and the snow, slush and salt eat things alive in this area. No rust holes, mostly deteriorated paint with associated rust and the dents and dings that go with 43 years of use.

The PTO switch is bad and the Rectifier/regulator had someone's idea of a repair done to it so a new one is here waiting to be installed. The wiring in general is a mess, at least to me. I'm not a fan of having 4 splices in a 20" piece of wire and am really not a fan of crimp on connectors in something that vibrates and gets used in the winter to deal with snow. So I have obtained a wiring diagram, new switches and will be re-building the wiring harness.

I got a service kit with new points, condenser, gaskets and a head gasket just because I have no idea when the last time any of this was done, (guy I got it from had gotten it from someone else and was not going to be able to get to it). I was doing the necessary cleaning and disassembly to accomplish the above tasks today and found the belt for the hydraulic pump will crumble in my fingers and the adjustment is at full extension so I need to change that.

My question, sorry I thought an introduction was in order as I am new to the forum, is; What is the best way to replace that belt? It looks to me like removing the tank and engine and sliding the pulley, (which appears to be part of the flywheel) from the engine shaft; which will allow the replacement of the belt. Anyone have suggestions or "don't do's" relative to this project. While I have this apart is there other maintenance I should do?

I plan to measure the bore as best I can with the head off just to see if it should be rebuilt while its out or if that can wait a year, My original plan, we all know how those go, was to get it running well, go through the snow blower and use it this winter before doing a working tractor restoration next summer. Again suggestions welcome and thanks for allowing me into the group. I have wanted a tractor like this for a long time and am very happy to have found one.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Hi Takedeadaim, welcome to the group and to PK ownership they are great tractors, I hear you about splices and wiring messes you pretty much right on for changing the hyd pump belt if you go that route be very very careful trying to get the clutch flywheel off some are stuck DO NOT use a gear puller it will break the flywheel, unless you suspect other problems with the clutch I'd go with Alc/s suggestion install a link belt many guys have good luck with them they do stretch so it does require tightening a time or two

How about posting some pictures of your tractor, good luck and if you have more questions just ask

The link belts are also available on e bay or Harbor Freight

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACCU-Link-Size-A-1-2-X-5-Adjustable-V-belt-Jason-Industrial/372033785849?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of your for your replies. I never thought of a link belt but when reading your responses, this seems like the perfect use for one. I have sourced one and a replacement pulley for the pump. That has some damage from the bad belt slipping and it must have been hit with something at some point as it is bent a bit. I don't like the idea of a wobbly pulley on the pump and a replacement was just not that expensive.

I'll take some photos of the tractor and post when I get it back together and running. The cylinder has no scoring and there is no ridge above the ring travel. I cant see cross hatching any longer and the diameter is 3.504" when measured with my telescopic gauge and micrometer. While that is out of spec by a bit, Im sure it will last for the winter and let me get a good idea of how the unit works for me and allow for a nice project next summer.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Good deal on replacing the bent deamaged pulley that can do in belt in short order looking forward to seeing pics

·
Registered
13 Posts
I registered for an account just so I could say THANKS, ALC!

After 10 or more years of little or no use, last year I tried to start my Mom's old Economy Tractor Power King and it wouldn't start anymore. I had it running 2 or 3 years ago when I replaced the battery, but it ran like (bad).

The last couple days I cleaned out the carb and got it running again, but while I was at it I noticed there is a bad spot forming on the belt that runs the hydraulic pump.

In looking things over, I could not see a way to replace the belt without taking major things apart that are way beyond my ability. What I could find online lead me to believe it would be necessary to remove the engine just to replace that belt! No way that is going to happen.

The post about the Link Belt :worshippy1: was like a godsend. I plan to run the current belt until it breaks but at least I have a plan. It's already survived over 40 years and there is only a small chunk out of the belt, so it might not be a problem during my lifetime.

I am posting a picture I found on Google that is similar to our tractor. Ours is 14HP from the late 1970s, except it has the dual 3sp transmissions and no wheel weights and is not nearly so clean and nice. But it still runs and can be a real stump puller if you put both transmissions in 1st gear!

I will take a picture of our tractor next time I have a chance so I can post it.

THANKS again for the idea of the link belt! Whew!!! What a relief.

-Marty

1976_power_king_tractor_14hp_kohler_engine_____lk_1_lgw.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Hi Martinmarty, welcome to the group good to hear you got the PK running again, yes a link belt will work and saves the work of splitting the engine / transmission, they work work but will require adjusting and taking a link out as they stretch at first, good luck please post some pictures of your PK

·
Registered
13 Posts
martinmarty,

I strongly recommend you replace the belt as soon as you can. Otherwise you will find your tractor in the middle of the driveway or road with the implement down when the belt breaks. You will not be happy.

Don Hayes
I'm sure your right that I will not be happy when it breaks, but the tractor doesn't venture far from home and the worst that could happen would be that I would have to drive it back to the garage without raising the mower deck. As long as I have a plan (i.e. replacement belt) already there when that day comes, I will probably just cuss a bit and think, "I knew this was going to happen. That guy on the Internet warned me!" :wallbanging:

Thanks for your advice though, even if I don't have sense enough to take it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
THANKS, MNGB, very helpful!

I don't have the belt in front of me and would have measured it, but I would have bet on 3/8" vs 1/2". Thanks for the links, no pun intended. They say it is in stock at our local HF so I might have to go check that out just to see what it looks like in person. In any case, it would certainly be worth giving one of these a try before removing the engine. Great to know you have used that particular belt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts