Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Southeast Threshers Reunion in Denton, NC a few days ago. I saw a few old tractors on a trailer, including this Cub Cadet. There was a for sale sign but I thought "It's a Cub Cadet, gonna be way out of my price range". Went over to the sign to read it, and to my suprise, it said "mowers $100 each". There was also a Cub Cadet from the first wide frame series, but this one is less rough and I like these models
better anyway. The guy took my offer of $75. It needs a coil, carburetor, and the front tires are pretty bald. Has a 12hp cast iron Kohler. It's not stuck and seems to have good compression. Hour meter reads around 1000 hours. The brake pedal would not return completely, and then when I pushed it, there was a sort of "pop" and now it really won't return. Got to mess with that. Hydro appears to be almost empty of oil. What is it's capacity, and what type of oil does it use?
Sounds like it's a 1983.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Yellow

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Nut Auto part

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Kitchen appliance Cooktop Kitchen stove Gas stove

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Rectangle Font Magenta Electric blue Metal

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Nice score! There should be a return spring on the brake pedal, it’s probably broken or missing. Part 15 in this diagram.
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Technology

For the hydro fluid, IH Hytran is recommended. Some people have strong opinions about only using that, but there are other much cheaper alternatives. I have been using this one from Tractor Supply, https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...al-tractor-trans-hydraulic-fluid-2-gal-806383. It should take 7 quarts. I would recommend pulling the rear cover off to drain it, and clean it out. You will need a new gasket. I would change the filter too. Cub Cadet #923-3014, which crosses to a Napa 1410.
Here’s a link to the parts lookup: Lookup Parts Via Diagram | Cub Cadet US. Click the Cub Cadet box, then type your model number and choose an assembly. Good luck, they are a great tractor!

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
991 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice score! There should be a return spring on the brake pedal, it’s probably broken or missing. Part 15 in this diagram.
View attachment 413493

For the hydro fluid, IH Hytran is recommended. Some people have strong opinions about only using that, but there are other much cheaper alternatives. I have been using this one from Tractor Supply, https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...al-tractor-trans-hydraulic-fluid-2-gal-806383. It should take 7 quarts. I would recommend pulling the rear cover off to drain it, and clean it out. You will need a new gasket. I would change the filter too. Cub Cadet #923-3014, which crosses to a Napa 1410.
Here’s a link to the parts lookup: Lookup Parts Via Diagram | Cub Cadet US. Click the Cub Cadet box, then type your model number and choose an assembly. Good luck, they are a great tractor!
Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Does anybody here have a photo of how the brake pedal return spring should be installed? I still can't see where it should go. This is the later model with the dual disc brakes.
I could probably get one of my 882 later if no one else does. It should be the same.

Reactions: FrankIII

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Done some more work. I got the screen around the headlights bent into shape, and adjusted the hood. Also adjusted the steering. Steering is decent, but there is some play. I think the main problem is a worn pivot bolt on the front axle. I ran some jumper cables into the shop to see if it would crank. The starter seems to operate well. I need some new rubber mounts for the engine. Also, some of the engine shrouds are missing. I'm not sure just how they should be installed, or if I can find them. Does anybody here happen to know where I could find replacements? The voltage regulator was missing, and I had one off a 13hp Kohler Command. It fits perfectly, and according to my reasearch it should work. Do any of you know if this regulator will work okay? Also the gas tank is missing whatever the hose is supposed to attach to.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
[/ICODE]
Wood Gas Motor vehicle Bumper Machine

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Gas

Brown Wood Gas Tints and shades Metal

Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille Car

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Here’s a few pictures. Hope this helps, it’s kind of hard to get good ones without pulling the fender pan off.
Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle

Wood Line Bicycle part Auto part Font

Automotive tire Road surface Water Wood Liquid

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tints and shades Wood Fruit

Wood Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Engineering

Wood Mammal Automotive tire Tints and shades Metal

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ended up taking two front tires off another tractor that I am at least partially parting out. Tires are in great shape. Put on a ignition coil and I have spark! Pretty sure I'm gonna drive this thing out of the shop in a few days! Just need a hydro oil filter and fuel valve assembly, and those are in the mail. Can't wait!
Picture of my homemade shrouds and coil, and tires.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Tread Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Tread Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

1 - 19 of 19 Posts