Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A first post, I believe. I recently purchased a '69 MF10. Serial # 18549. (all my others are JD) I've changed all the fluids, air filter, spark plug, fuel line, tried to clean it up a bit, and now I've come to adjusting the variable speed/variator. I have a '66 JD110 that also has a variable/variator but this Massey is a bit different.

I was needing some assistance in adjustment. I tried adjusting by the service manual I have. I believe I have the correct belts, engine to variator is #515382 and variator to transmission is #515383.

Before I tried to do the variable speed adjustment, the brake/clutch would barely grab the brake drum and it had some 'lurching' starts after putting the tractor in gear. And, pushing down the brake/clutch pedal barely made it possible to change gears. It was easier to put the tractor in gear before you started it and then using the variable speed lever to start the travel.

During the attempted adjustment, I tried to go step by step by the service manual, but when the step came to put the variable speed lever in the lower speed, 1, and sometimes 2, it was as though I were putting it in park, P.

I counted the turns I had made on the adjustment screw under the dash, so I just back stepped and tried to put everything back like I had started with.

It seemed like every adjustment I made either made the brake/clutch pedal not disengage at all, (which it barely did before) or I couldn't get the variable speed lever to go to the lower speeds. It seemed the variator to transmission belt was too short.

I hope I made some sense. This bugger has me stumped.

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Bumper Office ruler Rim Automotive exterior

Font Publication Book Paper History

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

Attachments

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I believe I may have answered part of my problem... I think my brake was way too tight. Once I removed the brake rod to try and adjust the variable speed, I had clutch/brake pedal travel. Enough to disengage the drive and change gears. At the beginning of this latest attempt, the idler pulley was above the frame with the speed lever in park.

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle Gas

After this latest attempt of readjustment, the idler pulley now looks flush with the frame.

Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Kitchen sink

Attachments

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Adjusting the Vari-Drive is a little tricky I found but if you follow the manual step by step it works.
After I adjusted mine for the first time I went back and redid it start to finish in case I messed up somewhere, and after that it worked great, everything does what it's suppose to do.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts

I think disconnecting the brake rod at the clutch pedal helps, I tried to do it without doing that and couldn't get it right. Also, the step with turning the nut however much extra it was supposed to be is COUNTER INTUITIVE! Where it calls for the extra turn(s) in the nut, make sure you turn in the correct direction.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I'll give it another go at it this weekend, maybe. The little time I've been messing with it, I've come to appreciate a few small things it differs from on the JD's.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Burke,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

·
Super Moderator
54,355 Posts
Welcome, Burke! Changing brands can be a learning experience. Lots of good Massey folks here to help as needed. Hope you get it all sorted out!

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Welcome to GTT.
Sounds like you're getting close.

Those look like new belts.
Have you put the shims back into the final pulley?

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
I will have to play with the adjustment on mine as well. I need to buy new belts before I play with it much. The dicerctions are hard to understand. I have to push my clutch down all the way to release it. I removed I think all but one shim in the back as well.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to GTT.

You know, I never recognized the shims and where exactly they were until I read your post and went back and read the service manual again. But, there they are!

Automotive tire Rim Wood Automotive wheel system Auto part

I think I counted 4. I gather you put shims into the pulley to get the belt to ride lower in the pulley?

Attachments

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One thing to keep in mind is the belt guard at the engine. If that isn't there (or is missing parts) the clutch won't release properly.

The guard is also a guide to help the belt stay at the proper radius to slip on the engine pulley.
Thank you for that. I went back and put it back on...

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tread Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
I'm thinking about removing 2 of the bolts from the pulley and replacing them with studs. It would make it a bunch easier to line up everything.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm thinking about removing 2 of the bolts from the pulley and replacing them with studs. It would make it a bunch easier to line up everything.
That sounds like a pretty good idea. BTW, I've seen all your videos on the restore of your Massey, looks really good.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome to GTT.

Thanks for that suggestion. I did that today. The belts are exactly 1 year old last month according to the previous owner. I put all but 1 back in...

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Wood

After going back a rereading the owners manual, the idler pulley is now lower. It's still about 3/4" above the frame but well below the top. After this little adjustment, it doesn't buck like a bronco when you let out the clutch.

Attachments

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went ahead and replaced the fuel shut off valve. It was leaking quite a bit. And, while I was at it, I put an inline fuel filter in place, and a new positive battery cable to the solenoid.

Motor vehicle Gas Composite material Auto part Metal

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts