Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the garden tractor for sale adds on kijiji and saw this add about a 3 stage snowblower. I thought you guys/gals would like to see a pic of it.I'am not sure what the benefit of it would be ,but untill I see one in action,or hear of how much [better] [worse] it works I'll just have to wait and see.LOL

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
Just another way to sell blowers. Can't see it making any difference. I have been watching you tube videos on them. Put a two stage and a three stage together in the same snow at the same time and try them together, is the only way to see if there is any difference.

Just my opinion, Noel

Reactions: Alc

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
I think a lot of the performance would depend on the type of snow. A dry powdery snow, I don't think it would make any difference and just be more to go wrong. A heavy wet snow, that center augur may help get rid of the snow in front of the machine that otherwise may cause a plugging problem. I have never been around a 2 stage, only the single stage units so I may be way off base.

Reactions: 637Yeoman

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
used to be a 3rd stage was another auger above the main one and parallel to it, late 70s Sears ones they called the 3rd stage a "drift breaker". I have seen some various MTD ones sold under different brand names with the "corkscrew" thing that you show, doesn't look like it would help anything....

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I was looking through the garden tractor for sale adds on kijiji and saw this add about a 3 stage snowblower. I thought you guys/gals would like to see a pic of it.I'am not sure what the benefit of it would be ,but untill I see one in action,or hear of how much [better] [worse] it works I'll just have to wait and see.LOL
Todays Colorado low getting dumped on us would be a good challenge for one of those units...we usually don't get this snotty wet snow.

·
Getting Out!
8,215 Posts
That can't go fast out there and be safe can it?? If it was slow moving, just a drift breaker then? I don't see it being anything much either, cept more bearings or drives to service. I was thinking maybe this was going to be about those dual auger type, one over the other for taller snow, but guess not. That type seems would be good in big snow areas and large lots and such. You know the Newest way to do big snow is those add-on snow pusher blades with big sides to put on trucks, tractors, skid-steers and such. Probly too much for a GT, but most commercial guys use those things.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I wouldn't think an auger in the middle would help much due to the fact that most people with two stage machines are having problems with their impellers not being efficient enough. Drawing more snow to the Impeller faster would only exacerbate the problem, add thicker heavier snow and a chute jam is even more likely! All this added to the fact that blower housings and gearboxes are now built with inferior materials, makes me think more moving parts will just lead to a quicker end to a junky product!

·
Tractorholic
3,414 Posts
I don't have any issues with any snow except cleaning up 1" of slush, that can't be fed fast enough and will plug my shute. I have seen these 3 stage units work, no different than a 2 stage other than a funny looking snowbank face.
Biggest issue with most blowers are power to the impeller, and impeller speed/ volume. Get these correct and you can blow just about any snow out into the neighbors yard .;-)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I used to clear snow with 8hp Toro. A bit slow but got the job done no matter how many feet of snow. Slow and steady finishes the race. Like any power unit ,,more HP's get the job done faster. My neighbours big horse cleared out the driveway pretty quick. We ended up with a foot of wet snow, trees are down, power out to 25,000 residents. This is NOT northern weather. We usually have nice fluffy light snow and -20 temps this time of year.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I don't have any issues with any snow except cleaning up 1" of slush, that can't be fed fast enough and will plug my shute. I have seen these 3 stage units work, no different than a 2 stage other than a funny looking snowbank face.
Biggest issue with most blowers are power to the impeller, and impeller speed/ volume. Get these correct and you can blow just about any snow out into the neighbors yard .;-)
I've regarded wet slush as time to get out the shovel.

Mike

·
Tractorholic
3,414 Posts
I've regarded wet slush as time to get out the shovel.

Mike
Forget that!! My drive is way too big for that, I just slap on me plow and give it a scrape, then i put the blower back on and sling that slop over the edges and gone.
Nice thing is, I can change my attachments very quickly and easily, pull 1 pin, pop off the hoses and drive shaft and back away. Plow is even easier, no prop shaft to un hook or hook back up.
I can swap things around faster than most deck removals on a garden tractor.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Forget that!! My drive is way too big for that, I just slap on me plow and give it a scrape, then i put the blower back on and sling that slop over the edges and gone.
And that's why I have a plow on my wheeler, the wheeler gets used for clearing large areas whether slush or powder and it's used exclusively for berms from city plows.

Mike

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I used to clear snow with 8hp Toro. A bit slow but got the job done no matter how many feet of snow. Slow and steady finishes the race. Like any power unit ,,more HP's get the job done faster. My neighbours big horse cleared out the driveway pretty quick. We ended up with a foot of wet snow, trees are down, power out to 25,000 residents. This is NOT northern weather. We usually have nice fluffy light snow and -20 temps this time of year.
Only 4" out in slate river jazz... 5 cars in the ditch when dad was coming home. I'd prefer the dry powdery stuff as it's better for my bronchitis... hauling straw for the chickens was interesting with the slush. Hope off put the tractor in 1stpush jump back shift to 2nd shift to 3rd get stuck repeat. Trying to get to the dog kennel was a circus.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.