Garden Tractor Forums banner

New Bolens buys!

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  fonz3482 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well today was a decent day. I attended a local show for the 1st time ever, I was wondering around the vendor area and stumbled across a green Bolens cart. I couldn't find an I.d. Tag and I wasn't 100% sure it was the real deal. I was worried that it wasn't so I walked away. Well the whole rest of the show it was bugging me. The price was right and I went back to look at it again. I then notice the hitch was missing also, so I walked away again and decided to message my helpful Bolens expert Brian(Bolens 1000). Well I sent the message and told my wife that he probably wouldn't get it fast enough and the next thing I know my wife says "isn't that him right there?" I look up from my phone and there was Brian . So we walked over, he checked out the cart, it was the real deal, and I bought it. The cart is in great shape I think and it even has a dealer sticker on it which turned out to be a dealer close to home. I then left the show and went to look at a Bolens 800 with mower deck. It was a bit rougher than expected, but it is a time capsule. Except for a newer muffler and a few knobs missing the tractor is all original. It still has the chrome trim around the hood which isn't really chrome no more, but it's there and the original seat cover. So I loaded that up and hauled everything home! Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks guys! The cart is cool and I'm glad I found Brian to check it out, otherwise I might have left it behind. The 800 has not ran in about 15yrs, although it is all pretty much there, it will need a bunch of work. One of the main reasons I wanted the 800 was it had a mower deck, but when I got there I noticed The deck has been sitting in moisture too long and is heavily rusted on the underside. In some spots it's getting thin. The steering is also frozen. I sprayed it with pb blasted and I can move it alittle, but not enough to get the wheels to turn. Any tricks on how to free that up? I was gonna walk away from the 800, but it is ummolested, not hacked, and all there really. That is getting hard to find these days, so I bought it.

#6 ·
Looks to be in decent condition.A bit earlier than the one I had but in alot better condition overall.

Mine needed a bit more money spent on it than I was willing to put into it.Engine ran good but developed a pretty bad rod knock and the clutch bearings needed replaced and the hood needed replaced or welded up and the PTO needed bearings.Just a bunch of little things but by the time I added it all up I was looking at almost $300 in parts before paint.

#8 ·
That is a nice cart! Why would you even think of leaving it behind!

Nice finds!

#9 ·
Nice finds and the 800 is beautiful. Keep spraying all the steering parts including all the tie rod ends and drag link. I had one that was completely frozen like that. It ended up free as a whistle.

#10 ·
That is a nice cart! Why would you even think of leaving it behind!

Nice finds!
Well, I have never seen green cart before, not even in old brochure or any literature. I thought it was weird that it didn't have an I.d. Tag on it anywhere and that it didn't dump. Also the hitch part was missing. It did have a wood tailgate, and the dealer sticker so that was telling me it was the real deal. I only had so much money on me and there was another cart I was interested in too. So I walked away from the Bolens cart, messaged Brian because I knew he was at the show somewhere and walked to look over the other cart I was looking at(Allis Chalmers cart). When I got to the vendor with the other cart, my wife pointed out Brian and we walked back,he checked it out, I bought it. Im still itching to buy the Allis Chalmers cart. I may go back today and see if it's still there. My wife's grandfather gave me his Allis Chalmers big ten, so the factory cart would of been neat to have for it also. But Bolens are 1st priority! Lol!

#12 ·
[quote name="bonusbuilt1950" post="711418" timestamp="1473439797"]

And who? has the Bolens bug worse than me???? I am only at 5 Ride a matics right now. I know your garage is getting pretty full with Bolens tractors. I have a lead on 2 more RAM's and one has a tiller on it. We will see.....[/quote

Yea, but I've been collecting for awhile now @ 10yrs. I've had the Bolens bug for a long time! I think you just acquired the bug not too long ago. And you are acquiring ride a matics that are pretty scarce at a faster rate than I am able to find stuff that is supposed to be more common and easier to find. I can't find a Bolens 900 for the life of me!!

#14 ·
You're right, Al. I have it pretty bad! I love the RAM's and also the tube frames, like the 1256. I'd sell my Troy Bilt LTX16 Hydro if I could find a decent 1256. I have to get the 3 RAM's out of the garage soon and move them to the shed out back, so I can put the snowblower on the Troy bilt in late October. Got a backyard with 6-7 Craftsman LT1000's to part or junk. That's my play money.

#15 ·
You're right, Al. I have it pretty bad! I love the RAM's and also the tube frames, like the 1256. I'd sell my Troy Bilt LTX16 Hydro if I could find a decent 1256. I have to get the 3 RAM's out of the garage soon and move them to the shed out back, so I can put the snowblower on the Troy bilt in late October. Got a backyard with 6-7 Craftsman LT1000's to part or junk. That's my play money.
It seems like tube frames are kinda pricey near your house. But you will find one someday and hopefully it comes with all the attachments you'll need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.