Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Massey 12 today as a result of a wanted add I neglected to take off cl after I bought my 10 (was hoping this would happen). I had originally wanted. A 12 hydro but got a good offer on the 10 and went for it. So long story short I get offered a complete hydro 12, the later electronic ignition model. For 150 bucks$$ so after talking to the guy I went down and bought it. It was supposedly sitting in the back shed of a compact tractor dealer (where the guy worked) for 15 years. It has a tag on the block showing it was short blocked at one point. The gas tank is spotless so I'm wondering If the dealer had drained the gas? Also needs a gas line as it has been cut off. After I got it home and unloaded I got her to fire up on starting fluid for a couple seconds So she does run. Hopefully I can get a fuel line tomorrow and see how it runs. This ones jumping up the list (in front of the 7)and will be restored soon. It's definitely rough but all there. Hopefully tomorrow it's worthy of being classified as running and driving!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
I picked up a Massey 12 today as a result of a wanted add I neglected to take off cl after I bought my 10 (was hoping this would happen). I had originally wanted. A 12 hydro but got a good offer on the 10 and went for it. So long story short I get offered a complete hydro 12, the later electronic ignition model. For 150 bucks$$ so after talking to the guy I went down and bought it. It was supposedly sitting in the back shed of a compact tractor dealer (where the guy worked) for 15 years. It has a tag on the block showing it was short blocked at one point. The gas tank is spotless so I'm wondering If the dealer had drained the gas? Also needs a gas line as it has been cut off. After I got it home and unloaded I got her to fire up on starting fluid for a couple seconds So she does run. Hopefully I can get a fuel line tomorrow and see how it runs. This ones jumping up the list (in front of the 7)and will be restored soon. It's definitely rough but all there. Hopefully tomorrow it's worthy of being classified as running and driving!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
That looks very complete and UNMOLESTED, Great score, on a rare 12 hydro

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Very nice rescue. I just got mine dismantled down to a bare frame. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Reactions: LYON222

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chris ! I believe I got a good deal, the man I bought it from just wanted to see it go to a good home. I'll get some more pictures tommorow after we get more "quality" time together. It also has a very rough mower deck,but. It works out as the one on my 10 is very nice but broke a mount off for the roller.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the 12 hydros somewhat rare? I've been looking for one for a while but when they come out they're usually over priced or someone's parts tractor:/

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
Are the 12 hydros somewhat rare? I've been looking for one for a while but when they come out they're usually over priced or someone's parts tractor:/
Just a tad over 18,000 units made, about a third of the number of MF10s and MF12 geared. I dont know where all these 12 hydros are, I hardly ever see them. The site has a list in the manuals section that tells how many of each model was made and what year the tractor was made. I know, I went to Hesston, Kansas to the Hesston Company (Hesston owns Massey) and personally got the information listed about 3 years ago

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to get the serial number and date it tommorow. The only ather 12h's I know of are o
A parts tractor on cl and a complete one for 1200$. I also know an old family friend who has a 12 with a sickle bar he uses but I'm not sure if it's a g or h model. Man would I love to have a sickle bar!!!!

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
I'll have to get the serial number and date it tommorow. The only ather 12h's I know of are o
A parts tractor on cl and a complete one for 1200$. I also know an old family friend who has a 12 with a sickle bar he uses but I'm not sure if it's a g or h model. Man would I love to have a sickle bar!!!!
Look in the manuals section under Massey, if you need help finding the list, just ask

·
Tractorholic
4,070 Posts
Have you ever driven one of these 12H's? When I got mine It was the first Hydro I had ever been on. When I got her running I had a blast driving it around for about 30 minutes non stop ( with no seat even) :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris, my 14 is hydro and also has a high range :D they sure do put a smile on your face !!!!! Hopefully I'll get to drive it tommorow

·
Tractorholic
4,070 Posts
I totally forgot you have the 14, sorry! And I am willing to bet that you'll have her up and running tomorrow! Good luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got it running and driving today!!! There's a couple things I don't know about tho, there's a lever with a hook on the top under the fender on the left side. It pivots about 45 degrees. What does this do? And she also leaks a little trams fluid from a small part on the front of the trans. Ill include a picture of this, it spins freely but I didn't spin it much as I'm not sure what it does. Any helped appreciated Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Rim Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rectangle Wood Motor vehicle Gas Bumper

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
4,070 Posts
Congrats on getting her running! I knew you could do it!

I think the hook you are talking about is the hood lock?

The valve you turn it with the longer section of pin facing up or down (I can't remember off hand) But one position is for driving and the other is for pushing the tractor when it is not running. I haven't taken my valve out yet, but I have the trans out so I will try taking it off in a little bit to see if there is an o-ring or not.

·
Tractorholic
4,070 Posts
I just had a thought, maybe it is leaking because you have it in the wrong position? Move it like I said, If it is in the wrong position from what I described then it will not drive or it will move real slow.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Chris! It did seem like it was going slow and inconsistent. Ill try that later and ill get a picture of hook thing but it's on the side of the trans by the axle

1 - 20 of 48 Posts