Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was at a local festival parade Saturday was a week ago with my two year old grandson. A young boy drove by on a small tractor that appeared to have Farmall decals on it. My grandson said I want one of those, so I made it my mission to find him a small vintage tractor. I know nothing about garden tractors except I have a John Deere 717A I mow my lawn with.

This past Friday I came across a Wheel Horse, knowing nothing about them except I liked the look I purchased it. The motor would not crank so I removed it a put a cheap Harbor Freight motor on it just so my grandson could ride it. Could any one tell me what I have and the value of it, any recommendation on restoring it ? If any one knows where I might get it restored in the North Carolina area. Thanks for any help given. First picture is during time of purchase, second picture I brought it home sprayed it off and changed motor out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
:welcometogttalk: Some of the wheel horse guys will be along to give you better advice, but I agree with MH81 . The important thing is you've got something for you and your grandson to have fun together with. I does look in good shape, but i couldn't tell you what belongs and what doesn't . Enjoy the site.

Reactions: MikeS

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wish I had a grandpa like you when I was a kid , Welcome to the site , you will find all the info in the world right here on this site , I am also new on here and cant believe al the info I have found :urock:

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
:welcometogttalk: I am not well educated on the really early models, but it looks to be in very good condition and it is very desirable! Enjoy!

Reactions: MikeS

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
Welcome aboard Mike. I'm not an expert with Wheel Horse and the value so like MH81 I will defer that to the more knowledgeable. On the other hand from one Grandpa to another the value of just the time and enjoyment you will have with your grandson and that tractor out weight any $$$ value in my book. Watching them explore and figure things out is priceless. :thumbs:

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Welcome to GTT. Congrats on finding a nice toy for your grandson. Those models were known as "nut roasters" for obvious reasons so, make sure he wears long heavy jeans and is carefull. It will be alot of fun for the both of you. Check out our Manuals Section for 3 free downloads per day. You can start out with a cart behind the tractor for him to ride in and then let him drive while you walk along side. Be sure that he can't fall off. Shades of 20 years ago with my son. Good Luck, Rick

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

That's a nice looking WH.

As far as value, that's all subjective. Did you think you paid too much? -maybe. Is it collectable, maybe. Did you buy it to restore and sell for collectors value?

or buy it to have fun with the grandson...that make may make it priceless for you.

I have a tractor that may only be worth $200 as it's sits since it does not run and been in the barn since 1990, but my dad bought it when I was only 3 yrs old. I grew up on it and I plan on restoring it someday, makes it priceless to me. one that I will not sell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I should have pharsed my question better when I ask the value, I already know it's priceless to me just seeing his face light up and not being able to sleep at night because he has to get up and look outside to check on his tractor. Just not having knowledge of GT's I was just curious as to the market vaule of such a GT. Also I would like to restore my grandson Wheel Horse, does anyone know somewhere around North Carolina?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I should have pharsed my question better when I ask the value, I already know it's priceless to me just seeing his face light up and not being able to sleep at night because he has to get up and look outside to check on his tractor. Just not having knowledge of GT's I was just curious as to the market vaule of such a GT. Also I would like to restore my grandson Wheel Horse, does anyone know somewhere around North Carolina?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
market value generally falls on the area certain tractors are more common in regions. old wheel horses are fairly
common nationwide are parts can be found.
a rough number as is 300 to 400. if you do a full resto you put more into than you will get out of it. that's why this is a hobby not a business.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.