Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a 1973 MF7. After looking it it over closer by looking up the year etc. the model was electric and the first owner swapped in a recoil 8hp kohler. Need to find a grill replacement and need a hood for it. The gas tank looks like it sits higher than where the hood would be. I am looking forward to making it look good and more reliable.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:welcome: to GTT & congrats on your GT. I have a MF12 I'm restoring. A lot of massey guys on here they may have some parts for you. Are you missing the running boards too?

Reactions: scheki

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. There are Manuals that you can download(three free per day). Our site sponsors may be able to help you with parts. That Kohler is an excellant engine. I used one to replace the blown Tecumseh on my Wheelhorse 30 years ago. Good Luck, Rick

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
:welcometogttalk: , and :thank_you: for the photos!

·
Bush Hog Addict
3,431 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You are in good company. There is a good group of Massey guys on this site and they are very talented with these machines.

Look forward to seeing you get it fixed up!

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Welcome to GTTAlk. I have an 8 and if you can make that Kohler fit then do it. The stock hm70 in those is not as good an engine IMO.

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

After Brian finishes badmouthing those old Tecumsehs ( :poke: ) :D, I will have to agree with him. A K-series Kohler in a Massey has got to be a match made for life! I bet if you relocated that tank everything would be as good as new.

Ben W.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I look forward to doing alot of research and taking notes, bookmarking as well.

Relocating the tank would help fit the original hood for sure. The grill needs to be straightened out as well. I guess it is missing the boards.Need to find the serial number on the motor, not sure exactly what year or what it came from. i finally started it up myself and drove it thru the gears, reverse etc. relocated the muffler/exhaust is on my list. One problem is the possiblity of one of the rusted bolts breaking.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Hi scheki. :wave:

Welcome to GTT. Glad you found us, and hopefully we can

help you out if you've got any questions.

There's a couple of us working on MF7s right now.

While looking for a hood/grill/hood trim (bezel), look for a MF8 donor as well.

Same stuff.

Here's a link you'll find very useful.

http://www.agcopartsbooks.com/PartsBooksN/login.aspx?

Sign in as guest, and then search 7 Massey.....

As for the foot rests/ running boards, what you have was standard. The running boards

where a "Deluxe" option.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Slope

Please keep us up to date on your progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome bud! There's a nice grill on ebay now. I have a set of foot pegs if your looking for that.... I've got a 71 mf7 that I'm working on now.... :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome bud! There's a nice grill on ebay now. I have a set of foot pegs if your looking for that.... I've got a 71 mf7 that I'm working on now.... :)

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I looked it up, cant find the grill, found other parts. Thanks. I need to figure out how to remount /position gas tank for hood to fit. Or borrow a hood for mark up and make one lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One other thing is that I told my kids that we can paint it something cool and different if we got it. Since it does need some new paint and color updated I apologize to my fellow massey ferguson lovers and owners. Anyone have a nice side, front and rear shot of a mf7 ? Need something I could mock up with the kids. Thanks guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts