Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the Sears suburban 12. 1967, and it’s complete.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

Shoe Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Bumper Wood

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Fender

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Asphalt Automotive exterior Gas

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Material property Gas Fixture Machine Door

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

I cleaned it with some simple green and it’s real nice. I also noticed it’s been repainted a lighter tone before me. You can see how it’s a lighter orange than the original.

I had to play with the carb a bit to get it to run right. However it’s currently running good. It’s wiring is a mess. The engine kill switch is the headlight switch. So I’ll have to play around with the wiring..

Soon I will tear a lot of it (not all) apart and sand and paint the whole tractor. Light coat of primer, 3 coats of paint, 2 coats of clear coat. I’ll have to figure it out how I’m going to paint it in the cold, but I should be able to figure it out.
(Yes I have the air cleaner assembly)

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks all!

·
Registered
60' Wheel Horse,66' Wheel Horse, 70' Wheel Horse, 71' Wheel Horse, 71' Wizard
389 Posts
Nice looking tractor !! Looks like it was taken good care of , Just my worthless opinion, but with it getting colder out now I'd use this time to look at the mechanical and electrical side of the tractor , ex. leaks , worn / loose parts , etc. Maybe sit down and make a list of things you see that may need replacing or take your time and fix anything that you can do easily without getting into any major tear down work. No need to jump into painting right now with it getting colder...... unless you have a nice warm shop , it'll warm up again...... besides.....she looks good in her worn work clothes.

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice looking tractor !! Looks like it was taken good care of , Just my worthless opinion, but with it getting colder out now I'd use this time to look at the mechanical and electrical side of the tractor , ex. leaks , worn / loose parts , etc. Maybe sit down and make a list of things you see that may need replacing or take your time and fix anything that you can do easily without getting into any major tear down work. No need to jump into painting right now with it getting colder...... unless you have a nice warm shop , it'll warm up again...... besides.....she looks good in her worn work clothes.
I’ve been thinking about it and I think your right. I feel bad ruining the already good paint to just put slightly better paint over it. I think I will keep it original for a while. And when it warms up, I’ll re do the paint :)

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I’ve been thinking about it and I think your right. I feel bad ruining the already good paint to just put slightly better paint over it. I think I will keep it original for a while. And when it warms up, I’ll re do the paint :)
Got your eye on any attachments ? Yet ?

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,843 Posts
Separating the Kill switch from the Ignition switch is a very very very good idea on the old Tecumseh engines. All it takes is a bit of moisture or wear or even a bit of dirt inside of the switch to Kill the Solid State ignition coil on those old Tecumseh engines. Any current fed back through the Kill Wire will instantly kill those coils and they are very expensive to replace IF you can even find a good used one. Leave it hooked to the headlight switch or wire it to a toggle switch.

Most likely the previous owner had 1 go bad. Every running Tecumseh HH100-HH160 powered tractor that I own got the same treatment.

The later ones with the Stator/alternator type charging systems had a bigger problem with the coil burning up because the Stator wires are wired into the same plug that the Stator wires are in down near the starter. If the 3 prong connector got any moisture or corrosion in it, it would cook the coil, If the switch had any wear or moisture or dirt in it it would kill the ignition coil.

Keep the Kill wire FAR FAR Away from Any power source and the Solid State ignition coil will most likely last for many many years. They have a large Capacitor, 1 small 3 legged Rectifier, trigger coil, a couple of diodes and a coil inside of them. There was a video on youtube years ago of someone rebuilding one of them but I can't find it. It's very hard to rebuild them because they are inside of an Aluminum body that is filled with Epoxy resin.

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
think rust oleum acrylic old caterpillar yellow will be a much better match than that orange. I don't know but it looks closer.
here the site I found it on color

View attachment 406013

Thanks for that. I actually am painting it original orange. I don’t like the lighter tone. Thanks nevertheless

Reactions: travas
1 - 20 of 28 Posts