Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings I just picked up a G4200GST. I don't have ton of experience with Garden Tractors, I have zero experience with diesel engines, but I do have an ok amount of general mechanical knowledge and a garage fool of various tools. I'm defiantly no trying to do a ground up restoration on this machine but would like to get it to where hopefully it will be a reliable tool for years to come. I have a few things on my punch list before I get it into general service and was hoping to get some help here with those items.
1. Oil and Oil Filter Change anything special to use here?
2. Coolant Flush and fill again anything I need to know. Also probably going to try to get the radiator cleaned off.
3. Drop Deck general inspection cleaning and lubrication. Any tips or tricks here? Does the shaft just slide out once you drop the deck? Any suggestions on grease to use on the deck?
4. Deck is missing what I think would be called the gauge wheel in the back on one side ( the thing that looks like a caster with a pin that has holes to adjust the level.) Any sources for these or should I just try to fabricate something out of a piece of pipe and caster? Its also missing the roller wheel on that side of the deck which it looks like they are available on ebay.
4. New tires. Thinking the cheap max auto set on amazon any experiences?
5. Seat is in rough shape. Pan is decent with just a fairly small rot hole. I might be able to weld that up if needed. Sources for covers that are not outrageous?
Any thing big I'm missing that should be done right away?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cut the worst of the rust spot out of the deck and welded in a patch. Not my best welding job but I think it will hold. Changed the oil in the gear box and hit all the Grease fittings on the deck. Also got the blades sharpend and balanced and put a coat of paint on the deck.
Motor vehicle Amber Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Wood

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the oil and filter changed a few nights ago with no problems. Went to drain the coolant tonight. Turned the petcock and got nothing. The petcock had a hex head so I figured I'd pulled out of the block. This was a terrible mistake. It snapped off almost immediately. Still no coolant came out though. I ended up pulling the radiator hose and drained flushed and filled the system through that. I wonder if I can just trust all the slag to hold the collant in forever or if I should try to drill and plug the hole in the block with something.?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Rim

Brown Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood

1 - 6 of 6 Posts