Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a 100 mile radius Ebay search and this old girl popped up. It is a Bolens 1600 Hydro Eliminator. The tractor, mowing deck, and snow blade starting at $100.00 were in the auction. For parts or not working is how it was described. My favorite kind!
I sent the owner a message, asked a few questions, he said it ran last year, but it would not start this year, he was tired of working on it, so he bought a new JD and put this one on Ebay. I put a bid on it. I was the only bidder, and I won the auction. I went to pick it up this morning. I found out the guy had bought it new, He had lots of good parts, manuals, and a brochure for all of Bolens mowers, etc. for 1988. Wow, what a find!
Got it home, started working on it. As always, I took out the spark plugs and put some fogging oil in the spark plug holes. let that sit while i charged the battery. after an hour or so, I tried to turn it over and it would just click. i checked and cleaned all the ground wires (ground can be a problem on old rusty tractors). That fixed the problem of the mower deck attachment clutch kicking in but not the motor starter. I tried shorting the terminals on the starter solenoid and that made the motor turn over! Added some fresh gas to the tank, some more gas in the carb, and she fired up! Once I cleaned the carb and valves (this time I just poured tranny fluid down the carb while it was running because it was running ok) it stopped smoking and ran great! Put it all back together and took her for a spin around the yard. Whoo-hooo! Ya just can't beat the old iron. They were built to last.

View attachment 33239
View attachment 33240
View attachment 33241
View attachment 33242

·
Super Moderator
54,003 Posts
Great score on that one! Glad it is up and running again! Have fun with it!

Reactions: jimbobbillyray

·
Tractorholic
470 Posts
great buy. she looks like she is in great shape. The one attachement was worth that. congrats.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, the cultivator was already here.

Got the problem with starting with a key fixed...had to mess with the saftey switches. They still work, just needed some adjustment.
I cleaned out under the tin covers on top of the deck, shot some new grease in the spindles, and hooked up the deck today. Mowed my back yard. The electric cruise control is a nifty feature on this tractor. Man, I like this tractor!. It does a great job mowing! ol' smokey has been benched! (the J D 318 does a good job mowing, but it needs a ring job).

I usually buy, fix, and sell gt's , but I think this one might hang around awhile. Those rollers on the deck help to make for a really nice and smooth cut on the lawn. They only thing I found I need to fix or replace is the tranny cooling fan. It only has 1 blade left on it.

·
Live long and prosper
6,782 Posts
Congratulations. That looks like a great bargain you got. I'm glad it worked out for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts