Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this old girl for $75 this evening. Runs and works. To dark for fresh Pics. These Pics are what the seller sent me.

It starts in 2 pulls so I'll probably have to atleast go through the carb and put a fresh condenser in it. Being a fairly low hour Wisconsin engine it should start in 1/2 a pull or less with a little bit of choke lol. But she's extremely clean and runs good. 230v + 115v locking pigtail plug and 2 regulay 115v outlets on the side. The small Neon bulb? on top of the box is missing it's lttle red lens/cap and it needs new ISO mounts. All 4 are dry rotted and split and pretty much flat.lol

Wisconsin S7D with a Winco 3000 watt gen head.

I'll take more pics once I tap the dent out of the blower housing and clean it up a little. Carb is weeping around the bowl gasket and the petcock dribbles a bit when you turn the fuel off or on. Doesn't leak when it's shut or completely open. It might tighten up but I have a new one sitting in my tool box. I have a freshly rebuilt carb off of a worn out S8D sitting on the shelf that I can rob parts out of if I need them. Looks like the same carb.

Doesn't look like it would be that heavy but it has to be close or slightly over 200lbs.

Someone took really good care of this thing. Oil is clean and full, New spark plug, New muffler, good clean oil in the oil bath air cleaner, the tank is spotless inside and the starter rope looked to be the original one with it's lathe turned wood handle, but somehow the starter rope flew out of the bed of the truck? Pretty sure I picked it up. Should of put it in the cab :( I'll have to make another one.

I'm going to use this as backup power for the furnace blower on our wood furnace and to run a couple lights and the home phone when the power goes out. Power went out for 11 hours a couple weeks ago and I had to use an inverter hooked to the car battery to keep the firebox in the furnace from warping and cracking. Was a bit to cold out to let it go out so every 1-1 1/2 hours I had to go out and run the car for 5-10 minutes to charge the battery. I let it go 2 hours and killed the battery and had to jump start off of my garden tractor. It was Just enough to start the car.

This was cheap and it's super cool and it will do what I need it to do.

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electric generator Gas Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts
Awesome score!

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty cool old unit. It has high temperature shutdown and Solenoid actuated throttle. I gota clean it up a bit and put a 1500W+ load on it and reset the governor. I doubt that I'll ever need the full 3,000W but it would be nice to have it setup to run at it's rating without significant voltage drupe or frequency dropping below 59-60hz.

I'll probably have to pull the solenoid and clean it up. It does seem to be a bit sticky. Parts for the genny are going to be hard to find if it ever needs any but the engine runs very good. Valves are nice and quiet which is a good sign of a low hour engine. I'm Not a big fan of the muffler. It's like new but pretty darn loud. This genny runs at 3600rpms unlike some of the Briggs powered Winco gennys that run at 1600-1800. I have a nice muffler off of a Bolens G14 that is much much quieter but it's Alot larger.

Wish I could find pics of the original exhaust. I doubt that it had a pipe hanging out the side like this one does.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$75 ?? ......You stole that !!

Congrats!
LOL I was looking for a cheap generator to power the 110v Wood furnace blower in case the power goes out again. Couldn't find anything cheaper than $250 locally. I was about to buy a 4000w Tecumseh powered Colman Powermate genny for $250 until I refreshed my search and this one popped up. I messaged the guy literally 2 minutes after he posted it on Marketplace. I love the old Wisconsin engines and Winco gennys are pretty reliable from what I read about them.

I have to do some digging and see if I can find a manual for it. The manual shows how to adjust the "Conserver" which should be the idle pickup? and the Maxi-Watt which I think sets the loaded running speed.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow Tire Vehicle

Motor vehicle Font Gas Nameplate Signage

Model number is on the tag if anyone wants to help me find a manual.

Font Gas Motor vehicle Number Metal

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts
I found nothing with that model #.

Reactions: IHCubCadet147

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Very nice. There is a guy in PA with a huge inventory of Wisconsin parts. Use Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas of old engines to keep the valves and combustion chambers clean and cooler. Good Luck, Rick

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is one cool old generator! I've heard of Winco somewhere before...
I think that muffler is quite likely correct. The OEM muffler might would of been a bit SMALLER...

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pulled the cap on the gen head to inspect the windings,brushes and slip rings and found some very light scuffs on the slip rings which is normal and will clean rite up with Scotch Bright pad. I did find that 1 of the 2 Filter Capacitors was blown. It will still produce power without the filter caps but I wouldn't recommend hooking a TV or radio or any other sensitive device to it.

Composite material Auto part Gas Tints and shades Metal

It has a light coat of surface rust which makes most of the numbers and letters on it unreadable.

I need to figure out if it's an AC or DC (polarized or non-polarized) capacitor and a rough estimate on it's rating. If it's a DC Cap I'm pretty sure that I can use a Kohler Condenser. The higher rating doesn't matter much when using a Cap as a Filter cap as long as it's the same or higher. You wouldn't want to put a lower rated Cap in or it will blow it's guts out immediately. If it's an AC (Non-polarized) Cap I'll have to order one.

Really wish I could find a manual for the gen head. I'm thinking that this one was built in the early to mid 1960s but it might be Mid to late 1960s. All similarly sized Winco generators from that era should use the same Filter Capacitors.

But for the time being it is 100% usable if I need it to power a few lights and our wood furnace blower when the power goes out. Our power goes out atleast twice every year and some times it can occasionally stay out for 12+ hours. We get lots of ice storms which tends to drop trees and branches all over the power lines. They used to trim and cut any tree that was near the power lines but they haven't done that in 20+ years.
Power was out a few weeks ago when we caught the tail end of that nasty storm front that sturred up all of those tornadoes and it blew a couple small trees over on the power lines about 5 miles up the road. It blew one of the old fuses up on the pole just down the road and it took them 11 hours to figure it out.

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,558 Posts
Here is a link that may help you with the generator - 2 bearing unit that is belt driven rather than direct drive but it does show a 3000 watt version 110 / 220 volt. Shows a parts list that may help identify the capacitor part number.
Support for Winpower Model: FM3V2-B/1 | WINCO

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a link that may help you with the generator - 2 bearing unit that is belt driven rather than direct drive but it does show a 3000 watt version 110 / 220 volt. Shows a parts list that may help identify the capacitor part number.
Support for Winpower Model: FM3V2-B/1 | WINCO
lol I was looking through that massive list of archived parts manuals earlier today and found one that is very similar. It's 4k but this one looks to be from the same time period and the internal components look virtually identical. It shows part numbers for the capacitors. Winco Part number 41221 Capacitor A.C.

Now to find out if that part is still available. If I knew the volt and capacitance rating I could go on ebay? and probably buy 1 that will work for under $5 Now that I know it's an AC Cap lol.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Replaced all 4 rubber isolators between the mounts and cradle. I used a hunk of mine belt. Cut them out with a hole saw. Worked really good.

Had the old girl running today. Man does it run smooth. Not a single puff of smoke. I seriously doubt that this thing was started more than a 1/2 dozen times. 96 ish% of the paint is still in the starter hub.

Did a bit of No-load testing and after it's warmed up it's putting out 134v. I Might have to adjust the electro Magnetic throttle stop a bit to slow it down but I'm going to wait until I can dig up a few things to plug into it and borrow my neighbors multi-meter since mine doesn't have a Frequency setting. I'm thinking that if I can get it down to around 120v with a 1,500+ watt load @59-61hz that will be good enough for what I need it for.

Actually I better test my multi-meter and see if it's AC voltage is reading accurate.lol It's a cheap Harbor Freight digital meter. My big old Microtona analog meter needs a good cleaning with DeoxIT contact cleaner but I ran out and no one around me carries it. DeoxIT is the best deoxidizing solution and contact cleaner that I've found. CRC makes something similar but I haven't tried it.

I'm SUPER HAPPY with this old genny. I think I'm going to add a starter genny to it and a battery. I have a starter genny off of a Bolens that has a bad charging winding but it cranks over just fine. I'll just have to charge the battery once and a while with a regular battery charger. A Simple push button start with a solenoid is super easy to wire up and I have tons of old tractor parts including a few starter genny mounts and belt tensioners. Sure will make it easier to start lol. It's pretty hard to pull over when it's cold outside. I put 15-40 Rotella in it which made it pull over a little easier. I'm pretty sure it had non detergent 30w in it. It was pretty darn thick and it got up to 40*F here today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts