Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My name is Keith and I inherited a 7. It is in decent shape with the engine,gas tank and wiring misssing. It has a Wisconsin engine sitting on the frame now. I was thinking of putting a kohler 161 on it instead. I know the condition of the kohler. Has anyone put a kohler on a 7? I am looking for pics and ideas on this swap. I know I need a good engine because the little tractor will be used to mow my grass. I am planning on trying to keep it looking as original as possible but I don't think a techumsee or briggs will hold up. Sorry if I offended any of the purists but the sides are pretty hacked up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
:welcometogttalk: Thanks for the photos.

Looks like that GT takes up all that trailer.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Welcome to GTTalk Keith. I have an mf8. They came with Tecumseh HM engines in them. I'm sure you could get any brand of engine to work as long as the size is pretty close to the original.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Hi there Keith. :wave:

Welcome to GTT. Glad to see another massey around here.

I can't help you on the repower, to a Kohler, as I've not done

that, but I do have a MF7, and a couple of 8's, (with original Tec's) so maybe I can help

with other issues. Just knock.

Glad to have you aboard.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Welcome to GTTAlk Short_Circuit! I can't help with any recommendations on the Kohler's, but I did repower a Massey 8 with a new Tecumseh from Small Engine warehouse. Here is the thread where I talk about the repower and some pictures.

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/8346-mf-8-repower/

As far as I'm concerned, that is really the way to go if you are willing to spend some money. Mine is still running great and is currently doing an excellent job while I get some issues sorted out on my 12H with the bigger deck.

Reactions: Short_Circuit

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to GTTAlk Short_Circuit! I can't help with any recommendations on the Kohler's, but I did repower a Massey 8 with a new Tecumseh from Small Engine warehouse. Here is the thread where I talk about the repower and some pictures.

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/8346-mf-8-repower/

As far as I'm concerned, that is really the way to go if you are willing to spend some money. Mine is still running great and is currently doing an excellent job while I get some issues sorted out on my 12H with the bigger deck.
Howard, I have been looking at your repower topic and that actually seems the way to go. I looked on the website for Small Engine Warehouse and couldn't find the exact number you have. I would like to have the electric starter. I will try and give them a call. Thanks, Keith.

·
Super Moderator
54,019 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Keith! Nice MF you have there. Good luck in your quest on the repower.

Reactions: Short_Circuit
1 - 12 of 12 Posts