Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PK 2414 is not running. The best I can tell is I am not getting fire. Pulled sparkplug from head and left plugged into coil wire then touched head while cranking. No spark. I tried a new H10C plug. Any ideas?

Is there a way to test the coil with ohm meter? What about a condenser?

It was running then quit.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Which type of ignition does it have? Battery/points system or the Kohler breakerless system? If its points I'd start with making sure there is 12 v at the coil + terminal it could be a blown fuse a bad connection or the key switch could have failed

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
And if you have 12v at the coil, I would check points. May be the condensor.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry for late reply as I had my granddaughter this weekend.

Yes, it has points. I don't have power at the 12 v coil + side with the key on. It cranks fine. What key switch do I need and where should I order it? My PK2414 is an early 70s model. I don't think I have a fuse. There is a black wire that runs from the key switch to the coil + side which is in good shape. I set the points since this happened thinking it was points.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Hi a Stens 430-512 switch is a battery ignition switch and works, you can get a switch from Amazon or any small engine lawn mower shop, many Home depots and lowe's have them good luck

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Safety switch between the key switch and the coil? Run a jumper from the + battery to the 12V+ on the coil and try starting it. If it is the key switch it should run with this jumper. Good luck. Hate problems this time of year. :mad:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So I replaced the switch and I still don't have power on the coil + side with the switch on. It cranks fine. There are 2 wire nuts on the black wire connecting to the starter relay.The other black wire goes straight to the coil + side. Is there supposed to be a fuse? I guess I need to trace down my 2 black wires. The funny thing is it was running and just quit. I guess wiring is correct since it was running.

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Circuit component Wire

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
Something got a mite warm there! What does that yellow wire do? Don't know if you have this, maybe it will help. Where that household wire nut is should be a fuse!

Attachments

Reactions: 29 Chev

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I'll attach a picture of the backside of the switch and here's how it should be wired "I" terminal wire goes to the coil + post "S" terminal wire goes to the PTO switch (safety) on one of the terminals that are toward the front of the tractor on the other terminal right across a wire goes to the starter solenoid, the "A" terminal wire goes to the light switch the "B" terminal wire is connected to the battery + side of the solenoid the rectifier voltage reg DC wire connects to either the "B" or the "R" terminal if there is one
Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part Circle Metal

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I set them at .020. I am trying to think of any silly thing I might have done.

If looking down on the gas tank you turn the fuel valve clockwise to open it right?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Something got a mite warm there! What does that yellow wire do? Don't know if you have this, maybe it will help. Where that household wire nut is should be a fuse!
The yellow wire goes to the lights. They had a short when I bought the tractor. It had rubbed on the power take off on the front. I replaced that section of wire when I first got it. I guess I will put a fuse back. How big was the fuse?

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
The yellow wire goes to the lights. They had a short when I bought the tractor. It had rubbed on the power take off on the front. I replaced that section of wire when I first got it. I guess I will put a fuse back. How big was the fuse?
Don't know.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So I am looking at the wiring and I don't think I match what Gary said.

My yellow wire goes to the rectifier and then to the lights and last to the PTO.

On the second picture my blue wire goes from S to the front of the starter solenoid only.

Pliers Pruning shears Kitchen utensil Hand tool Tool

Motor vehicle Light Electrical wiring Gas Cable

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
That don't look right! Is that red thing up high the rectifier? If it has 3 wire connectors, center one should be the 12V out.

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
Now I'm understanding more of what I am looking at. The coil wire should be hooked to the I terminal of the switch. Can't tell if that's what you have there. The yellow wire should be on the A terminal. Starter to S. Battery to B.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Hi coxhaus, the wiring is probably ok the PTO switch has been replaced with a simple push/pull light switch the OEM ones had 2 more terminals for the saftey part (the PTO had to be off) for the starter solenoid to get 12V power its been bypassed and works as for the gas valve if its the screw type (sediment bowl) counter clockwise to open
I'll attach a wire diagram

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi coxhaus, the wiring is probably ok the PTO switch has been replaced with a simple push/pull light switch the OEM ones had 2 more terminals for the saftey part (the PTO had to be off) for the starter solenoid to get 12V power its been bypassed and works as for the gas valve if its the screw type (sediment bowl) counter clockwise to open
I'll attach a wire diagram
. These wiring diagrams may be helpful

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts