Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have yet to have any success getting this s12d running. I have cleaned up suspect wires,changed fluids,plug,air filter, etc. when I put a voltmeter up to the plug it showed I am getting like 5 volts. I went through the carb as well. Hooked a brand new battery up. Put a new starter generator on it. It's a slug and it hisses or has some type of air sound to it when I turn it over. I looked at the points and they look clean. It acts as if it doesn't have spark and the engine does not turn over very fast, I checked the tent ion in the belt. When I have had the engine turn over faster it still doesn't try to start. It seems like a spark or fuel issue but I haven't been able to get it started with fluid either. Do I not have enough voltage or do I need to check compression or what?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slow cranking is not uncommon with these starter generators. You say you hear a hissing sound when cranking, are you sure it's the starter and not a blown head gasket?
My 850 would not start until I changed the head gasket it was just loosing too much compression.
I am not sure at this point I can also hear air coming out of the exhaust. How should I check the head gasket in this?

·
Deceased
1,441 Posts
If they put a smaller pulley on the yen I see it's a double bc of the pump for the loader that will make it turn slow. As ur cranking it over have the plug out an stick ur finger in the plug hole if it don't blow ur finger out then the exhaust valve is stuck

Reactions: accidentalchild

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If they put a smaller pulley on the yen I see it's a double bc of the pump for the loader that will make it turn slow. As ur cranking it over have the plug out an stick ur finger in the plug hole if it don't blow ur finger out then the exhaust valve is stuck
it did both want to blow my finger out and suck it in. Also the hissing is coming from the spark plug hole when it is seated. It is not sealing.

·
Deceased
1,441 Posts
What's it got a heli coil?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The plug hole has been repaired, but that isn't necessarily your problem.

Does your plug have a sealing washer on it? Let's see a picture (side view) of the plug.

·
Deceased
1,441 Posts
Well u can try a brass washer or just get a used head somewhere shouldn't be to much

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.