Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally hooke up with the fella who owns the MF12G that's sitting in the mud. He doesn't want to sell it. Says he's planning on fixing it up himself (Yeah Right!! ) However, after talking to him for a bit he told me there was another fella up the road a piece that has an MF7 just sitting out back of his house. So up the road I go and find the house. Sure enough, there's a MF7 that he's willing to part with. Waved a little green and he bit. Gonna pick it up on Sunday. Don't know what year it is but I did get the serial # if any one can help me out with it I would greatly appreciate it. serial # 1590221926.

·
Live long and prosper
6,789 Posts
Too bad on the 12, but congrats on the 7. Pays to ask I guess.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
rossboyle52 said:
Finally hooke up with the fella who owns the MF12G that's sitting in the mud. He doesn't want to sell it. Says he's planning on fixing it up himself (Yeah Right!! ) However, after talking to him for a bit he told me there was another fella up the road a piece that has an MF7 just sitting out back of his house. So up the road I go and find the house. Sure enough, there's a MF7 that he's willing to part with. Waved a little green and he bit. Gonna pick it up on Sunday. Don't know what year it is but I did get the serial # if any one can help me out with it I would greatly appreciate it. serial # 1590221926.
Sorry about the 12G but congrats on the MF7. Is it gear drive or hydro? There is a year by serial number sheet in the manuals section of the site under massey/snapper brochures and misc. I don't have the file handy right now to look it up for you or I would.

Reactions: KIRO-1

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
That's too bad you didn't get the 12G! We were all pulling for you. Good deal on the 7 though! It pays to stop and ask is all I can say! Congrats!

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kind of what I was thinking. Maybe when he gets tired of mowing around it he'll either make it a bird feeder or give me a call. (I left him my phone # in case he changes his mind)

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still have to see if I can get her running. Engine turns over (thats a good sign!) Tranny not locked (another good sign!) I will probably push her into the garage today or tomorrow and do a compression test. Needs a new throttle cable, so If I can get her to start I'll have to run the throttle manually. I really hate to tear down the carb. unless absolutely necessary. These small engines really don't like the ethanol that's added to the fuel. I usually run Sunoco Ultra fuel and also add the enzyme to it. Seems to work well cleaning out the crap that has built up in the carb. I have a Troy Bilt 1030 snow blower with a Tecumseh engine that was running pretty bad a couple of years ago. Talked to a friend of mine who is a full time mechanic for UPS and runs a small engine shop in his spare time about it. He suggested the Ultra and enzyme. After 2 tanks of it the blower starts first pull every time and minimul choke. So thats what I've run in all my small engines ever since.

·
Tacos!
1,082 Posts
Wow that is great. I paid $40 for mine in WAY worse shape and no deck and I thought I got the deal of the century. Congrats!

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
rossboyle52 said:
Still have to see if I can get her running. Engine turns over (thats a good sign!) Tranny not locked (another good sign!) I will probably push her into the garage today or tomorrow and do a compression test. Needs a new throttle cable, so If I can get her to start I'll have to run the throttle manually. I really hate to tear down the carb. unless absolutely necessary. These small engines really don't like the ethanol that's added to the fuel. I usually run Sunoco Ultra fuel and also add the enzyme to it. Seems to work well cleaning out the crap that has built up in the carb. I have a Troy Bilt 1030 snow blower with a Tecumseh engine that was running pretty bad a couple of years ago. Talked to a friend of mine who is a full time mechanic for UPS and runs a small engine shop in his spare time about it. He suggested the Ultra and enzyme. After 2 tanks of it the blower starts first pull every time and minimul choke. So thats what I've run in all my small engines ever since.
When I got my 8 it wouldn't run. I took the carb off and cleaned it carefully . There was a lot of gunk in it. I set the jets to factory default and put it back on and she fired right up. What is the Enzyme product that you are referring to above? Is it something we should be using in older engines?

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The enzyme is a neutralizer for the ethanol that is added to the fuel these days. My mechanic friend at UPS informed me that the small engines wil build up shellac quicker from it. Also reminded me that when these older engines were built they were designed to run on much higher octane and leaded fuel. Sort of like the old muscle cars that need the super high octane fuels of today to perform properly. Some of those muscle heads will even mix their own fuel adding octane to reach the 105 to 107 level.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Is there a brand name? I have been using Seafoam or my home made brew since this spring. Seems to be helping. As for 93 octane, if the price of gas ever comes down, I will try it... Right now I'll have to fill out a loan app just to fill up.

There used to be a place that sold 104 sorta locally, next time I'm down that way, I'll have to see if they still do.

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will get you the brand that I use and post later today. Gotta go fix my wifes refrigerator first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts