Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Always learning something!
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My story with this tractor started less than a week ago and it coincided with the sale of my 1974 JD 110 which gave me a few extra dollars to spring for my NTM Massey MF-14.

The seller's tale...........He bought her 6 months ago for a pretty sum of money. After running her around the property this summer/fall he blew snow for two storms and then she stopped running. He purchased a new battery and new starter but still could not make her run. The seller got frustrated and needed to get something to blow snow on his drive so he put her up for a quick sale. I ran across the CL add and instantly responded. A few pictures later (blurry as heck :D ) I told him I wanted her and would come as soon as I could. Over the next few days we spoke enough on the phone that he knew my voice by sound.

Here's a sneak peak at the CL add:

196? Massey Ferguson tractor/w cab (So.Me)

I have a 196? Massey Ferguson MF14 lawn tractor with hard cab & snow blower for sale or trade. I just replaced the Starter motor, but still needs ignition switch fixed. Great running tractor and I have the original Owners manual. This Massey Ferguson also has front & rear lights and lights all around the cab.

I can take pictures for anyone interested. This tractor has no rust, new tires and chains. If I were more mecanically inclned, I'd keep it and have a great machine, my loss your gain. You'll have to pick it up, I don't have a trailer to put it on. It also has a wiper and glass front window.

I am looking to trade for a good working snow blower or $500.00 cash obro, I'd rather have a good snowblower as we are retired/disabled and can't shovel. Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

I stopped in this evening to see her for the first time and put a down payment of half the sale price ahead of her being delivered tomorrow morning. The boys were very helpful in getting the hatches battened down and the seller assured me he'd secure her well to the trailer for transport. I was not able to take the cab off ahead of transport so I wrapped her in a tarp and cinched everything down with straps.

I brought home the operator's manual and the turn rod for the blower as my proof that she's real. I'll get some more pics and a better sense of what's going on with her tomorrow evening and start feeding you all some better information ahead of asking for your help to solve the "no start" problem.

Here are a few pics to go on for now.

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

Attachments

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
Wow Moose, What a deal. Hopefully it won't be much of an issue to get her up and running. Looks like a great snow machine and I would have jumped all over that one !!

Reactions: Moosetales

·
Tractorholic
4,070 Posts
Again congrats! that is a great looking MF14!

After reading how he bought a battery and starter and still not running I am starting to think there is a safety interlock switch at fault here. It could be the ignition switch or starter solenoid, but i just have a feeling it might be even simpler than that. If you have a manual with electrical in it, start looking at what it has for safety switches.

·
Super Moderator
54,023 Posts
Great score on that one! Good luck with the issues!

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
NICE !

Good looking MF.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
That's a very nice 14 package. The plastic is all there and in good shape and overall it looks like a low hrs/ well maintained tractor. Could just be an ignition problem, points maybe.

·
Tractor Whisperer
1,473 Posts
I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Those things are work horses.....nuthin like a new toy.

·
Always learning something!
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When does it show up today?
The sellar said he'd be at my place between 10-10:30 am. He called me at 1/4 to 9 am and said he was two towns over from me (Augusta) and as we talked I realized he was heading in the opposite direction of me. I redirected him and scrambled the jets. My dad was planning to be there at the prearranged time (as I had to be at work) so I called a buddy and he was a no go so dad pulled things together extra quick and shot over to my place. She's sitting in my drive way as I type.....SAFE AND SOUND. So in the end she cost me $500 and two dozen eggs from our chickens; the sellers wife loves poached eggs so it was a win/win. Not bad I'd say. :thumbs:

Yes I did sleep last night but went to bed thinking about the trip and up early this morning thinking about her arrival.

Ditto^^^^

Yeah, we want to start working on it....!!!
Give me a few hours to get through today's work load, spend some time with my lovely wife and then I'll see if I can get a quick video of what's happening (or not happening) when she tries to turn over. Thanks for the offer of help.....I'll need it.

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
The sellar said he'd be at my place between 10-10:30 am. He called me at 1/4 to 9 am and said he was two towns over from me (Augusta) and as we talked I realized he was heading in the opposite direction of me. I redirected him and scrambled the jets. My dad was planning to be there at the prearranged time (as I had to be at work) so I called a buddy and he was a no go so dad pulled things together extra quick and shot over to my place. She's sitting in my drive way as I type.....SAFE AND SOUND. So in the end she cost me $500 and two dozen eggs from our chickens; the sellers wife loves poached eggs so it was a win/win. Not bad I'd say. :thumbs:

Yes I did sleep last night but went to bed thinking about the trip and up early this morning thinking about her arrival.

Give me a few hours to get through today's work load, spend some time with my lovely wife and then I'll see if I can get a quick video of what's happening (or not happening) when she tries to turn over. Thanks for the offer of help.....I'll need it.
Moose, I an very Happy to hear that it's sitting in your driveway safe and sound.

Maybe you'll get her up and running tonight !!

1 - 20 of 165 Posts