Garden Tractor Forums banner

Ntm Mf14 - My First Massey

Tags
massey
2K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  kscycler1 
#1 ·
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Motor vehicle Building Gas Wood Engineering

So I'm doing a field check (I do commercial real estate appraisal for the County) and I'm in a nondescript warehouse in downtown, and lo and behold, there appears a warehouse full of equipment. There must be 20 tillers and mowers, 2 JD 36 commercial mowers, and two MF14s. One appears to be in better condition and has a 550 tiller sitting behind it. The other has a blade but the cowl is off and I didn't see it laying about. At any rate, $600 strikes a deal for the more complete MF14 with the tiller. It doesn't have a battery but the owner says it runs fine. Hope I made the right decision. Will pick it up on Friday...

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
That's a nice looking Massey. Any more good buys there? My son lives in Wichita!

#6 ·
Good for you. Congratulations on a great find. Just like American Pickers.
Actually, I was considering calling the Pickers since there's much, much more in this warehouse besides GT and implements. He's owned the building since '47 and they ran a small engine rebuilding and training facility there. On the shelves, there must be thousands of small engine parts, blades, etc. Over 10,000 square feet of "stuff". So, am I in the ballpark at $600 for the MF14 and tiller? Too much? Should I go after the other one?

#8 ·
If he is interested in sell the small engine parts, maybe one of our sponsors might be interested.

#9 ·
I'd say you did well at 600. I'd offer a couple hundred for the other one as a parts tractor. The JD's might be good to pick up as well.

Why not call the pickers. If the guy was friendly enough, they might come out. Who knows, you could be on TV. Just make sure you buy all the GT's first, so all of America doesn't get on that kick.

#10 ·
I think you did OK and I would try to buy all that I could. You might be able to sell off what you don't want to pay for the ones you do want.

I wouldn't call A.P., they walk right by really good GT finds all the time, don't let them in on our secret hobby.

#13 ·
In your first post, second picture, there is a green push mower with red wheels. That is a very early lawn boy, probably early-mid 50's model. If it's complete and the motor turns, that's worth a pretty penny. Very rare to find one with the cast aluminum shroud over the engine.
Every time I look at the pics, I see something else. I'll see what I can do about picking up the LB, too. And the other MF14.

#14 ·
Sounds like an excellent deal to me. The tiller is a nice attachment to a very nice vintage GT. They often go for up to 1000 up here and tillers are hard to find.

#15 ·
Sounds like an excellent deal to me. The tiller is a nice attachment to a very nice vintage GT. They often go for up to 1000 up here and tillers are hard to find.
I wish it had both extensions (only has one) on the tiller. And the tines are pretty worn. I have the same issues with my JD33 tiller. Can't find replacement tines. And I believe the MF 550 and JD 33 are essentially the same tiller.

#23 ·
I wish it had both extensions (only has one) on the tiller. And the tines are pretty worn. I have the same issues with my JD33 tiller. Can't find replacement tines. And I believe the MF 550 and JD 33 are essentially the same tiller.
I have info on replacement tines for JD tillers. I will look it up and get it posted for you.

Reactions: kscycler1
#24 ·
Got the MF14 home yesterday afternoon. It seems to run fine, idles nice, and should clean up well. Pictures to follow after work today. I did make the mistake of pulling the oil dipstick while it was running and got sprayed with oil. Hopefully, it's only a vent issue and not a blown head gasket. More to follow...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.