Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to buy a couple of MF12 carcasses, one junk motor, no heads, 2 hydros, 4 very rust hubcaps, most of the tin to make one tractor, one dash, bad front bezels, one deck out of two, 3/4 of one seat, etc. Guy was askin big money for them, kinda made him an offer he's thinking over.

The thing is, one of them has an OEM hydraulic lift system. I think I want it, but I can't get my head wrapped around what's there.

With the parts from The tractor I bought from Casey, I can make one outta 3.

I couldn't take pics without seeming too interested. I know some of you guys have bought add on hydraulic stuff for your tractors, I guess if someone could tell me what that piece is worth, I can figure out the rest. The pump, valve and the lift cyl is there, also the hoses.

Any suggestions?

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
Alan, JD. and W.H. hydro lifts bring 2 bills all day long on see- bay, sounds like a lot of parts for several years of keeping your herd alive..

Reactions: MH81

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wvbuzzmaster said:
Well, I know what you paid for mine, so I would try to buy those others, make your wife very happy with you. :D
Oh, you're a bundle of good ideas aren't you... :bigrofl:

He was asking $400, I offered him $100. Would've gone lower, but I kept seeing that hid lift... Never seen one before. Am I being a dummy here?

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
texas deere and horse said:
Alan, JD. and W.H. hydro lifts bring 2 bills all day long on see- bay, sounds like a lot of parts for several years of keeping your herd alive..
Brian, you posted while I was replying to Casey. I was thinking it may be worth it to pick them up.

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
The way that I usually approach it is I ask myself which of the less common parts are there and functional. Frames and the like aren't really all that valuable (to me). Do they have good tires / wheels? Is the sheet metal complete or does it complete what you already have? In this instance, and as you've already pointed out, what is the hydraulic unit worth? Which of the frequently worn or missing items are there and NOT worn? Answer these questions and then factor in how much time and work will be involved in putting a tractor together out of the pieces. Answer these questions and I think you'll know what to offer the guy.

·
15,608 Posts
I usually offer the price I would pay for the 1 or 2 items I want. If they take it, the rest is a bonus..

200.00, I don't think you can go wrong..

·
15,608 Posts
And just think how Ryan is going to like plowing with hydro lift, lol

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
caseguy said:
The way that I usually approach it is I ask myself which of the less common parts are there and functional. Frames and the like aren't really all that valuable (to me). Do they have good tires / wheels? Is the sheet metal complete or does it complete what you already have? In this instance, and as you've already pointed out, what is the hydraulic unit worth? Which of the frequently worn or missing items are there and NOT worn? Answer these questions and then factor in how much time and work will be involved in putting a tractor together out of the pieces. Answer these questions and I think you'll know what to offer the guy.
So, cp+trs+whls-frm+tin-effort*cool factor=$... ?

Thanks, now I have to do math.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
You want the hyd. lift, as we all do. 400 is to much. You already threw him 100. Let it sit a day, as long as it's not
well publicized. Meet him at 250. well worth it.

·
Squeaky Wheel
7,446 Posts
MH81 said:
Oh, you're a bundle of good ideas aren't you... :bigrofl:

He was asking $400, I offered him $100. Would've gone lower, but I kept seeing that hid lift... Never seen one before. Am I being a dummy here?
You bet I'm full of great ideas. I can't wait to see the Scrap Massey back in action. I say if the rest say 2 bills, then get it all for both those bills.

·
Tractorholic
255 Posts
Hey MH ..... neighbor out there !!!

I called that Meadville number this morning. I asked three dozen questions then ask him what he would take. He said $350 was as low as he would go. There is a head missing on one engine and the other not verified. Only one starter also. I agree with the previous poster that $250 is plenty. It does sound like lots of good parts. I would offer $200. I'm out of money so called out of curiosity. There are too many verified running MF tractors around here for $300 or so

BTW is frame size of 10 and 12 the same? Is hood height the same ? .... I have not owned a 10 or 12 but it is a matter of time.

Hope you get them. I'm 67 miles to Meadville and must be a deal to drive that far.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
If you need those parts get it you can always sell one tractor.
There were 2 different power lifts, early ones were v belt driven pump with control lever.
Later ones were self contained unit with electric solenoid and switch.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
MF14 plowday special said:
Thanks DH1 .... so you say early 12's had hydraulic cylinder that ran off the hydro?

And later had electric lift ?

Did M12G have any lift options?
They had a belt that ran forward from the engine to a small hyd. pump under the hood, the lever was in the same spot as the manual lift and it was attached to the control valve.
I think 10s and 12s both lifts, not sure when they stopped the hyd lift.

·
Tractorholic
255 Posts
Also .... I asked the seller about the condition of the plastic trim rings .... he said there were no cracks because they were made from rubber. Any comments ???? Did AMF use two different materials when making trim rings ?
(I wanna know all about Masseys)

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
MF14 plowday special said:
Also .... I asked the seller about the condition of the plastic trim rings .... he said there were no cracks because they were made from rubber. Any comments ???? Did AMF use two different materials when making trim rings ?
(I wanna know all about Masseys)
Sounds like he was talking about the trim around the headlights themselves.

·
Tractorholic
255 Posts
Hmmmmmm maybe the trim rings are gone ???? Thanks george

Its really tricky buying tractors over the phone without pictures !!!! I've driven a long ways a few times only to see and be disappointed.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts