Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running SAE 30 in the tractor, and it is burning a bit and weeping a bit around the back of the engine, neither to be unexpected for a non rebuilt 50yo engine. Any foreseeable problems in running a slightly thicker grade of oil, maybe 40wt? We don't see to much in the way of cold temps here - climate is pretty mild. Even a multigrade maybe? What's the consensus?

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Leaking areas may be caused by loose bolts. Check them. Smoking can sometimes be reduced by adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas. Over time it will slowly clean the combustion camber, valves, and piston rings. Six months in an old car and it has stopped smoking completely for me several times over the last 48 years. Good Luck, Rick

·
DR. Bolens
19,063 Posts
I would not go to a thicker oil as you'll likely do damage to the engine, especially on an oil slinger model.

If its leaking in the rear, check the belt guide bolts, one of them is straight through the block and will leak like crazy if loose or missing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would not go to a thicker oil as you'll likely do damage to the engine, especially on an oil slinger model.

If its leaking in the rear, check the belt guide bolts, one of them is straight through the block and will leak like crazy if loose or missing.
Hmm good info! I also have this issue; the guy I bought it from had told me to just keep an eye on the oil level :poke:

The interesting part about my 'weeping' is that ..it just weeps a lil bit after each use.. and its not a continuos weep.

I can take pics of the underside if that would help diagnose..

Reactions: MichaelBeck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another thing to check is the seal at the governor lever.

If you post a couple pics I may be able to find a problem area
Here is where it leaks on the underside after riding using implements etc..

No smoking occurs though..

Attachments

·
1,206 Posts
If its a tecumseh then also check the crank case breather tube they leak around that tube a lot where it goes into the valve box on top of the engine or out the tube if the vent is not working right. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
Hmm good info! I also have this issue; the guy I bought it from had told me to just keep an eye on the oil level :poke:

The interesting part about my 'weeping' is that ..it just weeps a lil bit after each use.. and its not a continuos weep.

I can take pics of the underside if that would help diagnose..
It could still come through the threads. The expand and contract of the running and cooling could affect it too. How often do you have to add?

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
Do you clean it good between every running? If that's been building a while, go to the top of the leak area and look for a clean area. It does look clean around the one bolt head but the oil is higher than that. That bolt could still be loose though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts