Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tractorholic
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my h16 the left axsle housing is leaking tranny fluid. I am thinking that it is due to the oil seal # 74 ? Is this a part that I can match up at the auto store? And any advise on how not to botch the job???

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
On my h16 the left axsle housing is leaking tranny fluid. I am thinking that it is due to the oil seal # 74 ? Is this a part that I can match up at the auto store? And any advise on how not to botch the job???
Most likely that seal is the cause of your leaking. It seems most of these transmissions always start leaking on the left side.

Here's a thread you may find helpful in getting at and replacing the seal
http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/12054-removing-large-hub-on-locking-differential-tube-frame/page__p__148988__hl__+bolens%20+oil%20+seal__fromsearch__1#entry148988

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would take measurments of the housing and axle with a caliper as well, and take them with you when trying to locate a seal. NAPA is usually really helpful when looking for replacement seals. They have a book they can look up by axle size then housing and vise versa.

·
757 Posts
Reactions: speedyg

·
Tractorholic
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got the old seal out and took the part number and the seal to NAPA and they ordered part #9838, description P/S pitsan arm S. I hope it works!!

·
Tractorholic
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I am fixing my leak I thought that I would also adjust the end play. I looked through my manual and could not find any info on the subject. If someone could stear me in the right direction I sure would be greatful. thanks!!!

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts