Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime modern technology isn't always superior, as seen in this video.

Now, I have to admit, that steam engine probably outweighed the other tractor by 2 to 1 or better. And the pulling tractor was actually being pulled off the ground by the angle of the tow rope. But I still enjoyed it!

·
Tractor Whisperer
1,473 Posts
Thats what I'm talkin bout....LOVE the older stuff full size or GT size....

·
Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!
4,461 Posts
But, the Johnny dares ...

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
That Jane Dear wasn't being pulled off the ground. Shucks it was digging big trenches and going deeper and deeper until the

steamer pulled him up out of them. :D :D :D

But yeah, definitely an unfair match up. The JD had the horse power, but the Steamer had the traction.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Weight = traction and low gearing = torque. No surprises here! I saw a video the other day where a VW toureg suv turbodiesel out pulled a huge chevy 2wd pickup. The rear wheels of the chev were bouncing off the pavement and it couldn't put the power to the ground. That one did surprise me!

·
Rockstar
2,546 Posts
yeah, that VW vs chevy was a good show of how modern traction control + AWD can out pull a vehicle with no weight over it's drive tires.

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
That's a Classic Apples & Oranges comparison. No doubt the Steamer would have a distinct advantage in a Dead Pull!

But if you put both of them in a field pulling apropriate plows for each the JD would run circles around the steamer.

And at the end of the day The John Deere operator would want a shower and go dancing. The Steamer operator would want a shower, supper and a bed. I love to see a steam engine operate, but would want one only to play with not to work.

Note the steamer takes an engineer and a fireman to operate too along with about an hour 3 times a day to oil.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not certain, but I think that JD is a modified pulling tractor. There are no appropriate plows for it! And if its been heavily modified, it might not make it through the day!

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
There is more to a good tractor then just pulling power. It has to be versatile and able to do all the jobs you need, quickly, cheaply and with a minimum of work/discomfort for the operator. The video really illustrates how the design priorities for tractors have changed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts