Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an onan 20 hp p220 from a guy that took it out of a john deere because what he said anyways was that it was missing and he needed the tractor right away so he replaced the engine with a new one Question is are these worth anything and could I use this as a backup for my snapper 1855 Im thinking if its not feasible to get running then would sell it outright or part it out My 1855 has the 18 hp with the points and this one doesn't have the points setup and that scares me a little

·
146 Posts
If it is a P220G, it would be of interest to a lot of JD 318/420 guys.

Whether it would fit your 1855 without significant modification, I have no idea.

Not running, it would be worth only $100-$150 as a core, but running decently probably $500 - $700.

·
Super Moderator
54,354 Posts
That's the engine I just put in an Sears FF. If you were closer, I'd take it off your hands! I like them!

·
1,436 Posts
I think it is a lot quicker to tune up an engine than to replace it.

Any signs of the heads having been removed?

Any Onan engine with a miss is guilty of a loose valve seat until proven otherwise.

I would do a compression check.

·
Super Moderator
54,354 Posts
The B48 on my GTV had a miss. It had sat for several years. I soaked the cylinder with MMO and put some in the oil. After running it for a while the miss went away. I think the rings had stuck. Doing real good right now!

·
Tractorholic
276 Posts
Does the 420 have the same onan motor as the 318?

If it is a P220G, it would be of interest to a lot of JD 318/420 guys.

Whether it would fit your 1855 without significant modification, I have no idea.

Not running, it would be worth only $100-$150 as a core, but running decently probably $500 - $700.

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
It's definately worth looking into. Along with GT's about 70% of all the small skidloaders from the 80's ran Onan engines.

I was a litle slow jumping on a Case 1816C with an Onan in it for $2,000. They told me the left drive motor was bad. I've seen it running since and regret not buying it.

The last 3 Hydra-Macs and an Owatonna(Mustang) I looked at all had Onans too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've got an Onan P220G in my Snapper 1855. One frame rail has to be notched slightly, but otherwise a very good fit!

--Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts