Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having trouble setting up the carb on my 1855A, I first noticed a problem when the crank case filled with fuel overnight, I have striped the carb and cleaned it, drained and refilled the oil, it still has this problem meaning I have to turn off the fuel after each use (if I could use it).
The carb is filling with fuel as normal but when the engine is running it empties the bowl and stops, there does'nt seem to be any fuel getting to the carb to fill the bowl once the engine is running, I have checked the fuel pump (external type) and it pumps very well.
Got to say I am getting very frustrated with it, I priced a new carb from cumminsonan they want £311.00 $479.00 for one, or £104.00 $160.00 for a repair kit, I have searched ebay etc but no luck, any ideas from you experienced GT owners?
Cheers Robin

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Your fuel pump diaphram has a hole in it & pumping all the fuel into the crankcase. Your pump is separate from the carb? Some DD carbs have the fuel pump made to the side of the carb. Either type will fill crankcase when the diaphram ruptures. The best thing you can do is to dump the vacuum fuel pump & install an electric unit. Get a low pressure/low volume unit. I'm using a Mr Gasket model 42S. It is 2 to 3.5psi & works well with these carbs as long as you have a good float & needle/seat. One advantage is after period of non use, the carb will evaporate the fuel & the vacuum pumps take some time to fill during cranking over, which is hard on the starter. With electric pump, turn key on, give it a few seconds & carb is full, then start her up. Below is link to this pump info. You can buy at most automotive parts stores.
MICRO ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP-42GPH (42S) | electric fuel pumps |

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
olcowhand, thanks for the info, if as you say the diaphram has a hole in it, would this mean that even though the pump does appear to work when the fuel line is removed from the carb it will not keep up with the flow required once it is connected and under a little pressure?

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
robintwist said:
would this mean that even though the pump does appear to work when the fuel line is removed from the carb it will not keep up with the flow required once it is connected and under a little pressure?
I think you got it. When the fuel line is off and there is no resistance the fuel will flow the easiest path, once you hook the line up and it has to flow into the float bowl through the needle it creates more resistance then what the hole in the diaphragm does. I know if the fuel pump craps out on my 1655 I will be doing the electric fuel pump and I may not even wait until then. You definitely don't have a carb problem.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I wanted to add that you should post in the member introduction forum since you are our first UK member :D

·
32,409 Posts
Yes, I forgot my manners...:welcome: to GTT! And when a diaphram is bad, the vacuum side of the pump will be full of fuel & keep pump from working properly.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
robintwist :welcometogttalk:glad to have you here.

·
4,481 Posts
Hi Robin
Welcome to GTtalk.
I think Daniel has you zeroed in on your problem.
Yes, Electric fuel pumps work very well along with easier starting.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to say thankyou to you all for your advice and your welcome to me to GTT, I am delighted that olcowhand replied to me as I have been a regular viewer on this site looking for advice about my 1855A and onan engines, He does seem to be the daddy where this marque is concerned ! I have to say that both Snapper tractors and onan engines are quite rare in the UK (usually Briggs), I have seen a few of the smaller Snappers here for sale but they seem to be in the south of the UK and I am in the farming county of Cheshire in the north.
I didn't realise I was your first UK member, if this is so I must now go down in history as far as this site is concerned!
Just to let you know I have ordered a facit 1.5 - 4.0 psi fuel pump for the Snapper and I will let you know how I go on.
Cheers to all.
Robin

·
32,409 Posts
IF the electric fuel pump does overpower your float/needle assembly, you can add a pressure regulator to drop it down to as low as 1psi. I've never had a problem with the Onan carbs with the low psi pumps though. On my Bush Hog tractor that I installed a Wisconsin TJD, I had to use a regulator as it's float couldn't handle the electric pump. You should be fine.
Yes, you are the 1st UK member!

:smiley-flag013::smiley-flag013::smiley-flag013::smiley-flag013::smiley-flag013::smiley-flag013::smiley-flag013::smiley-flag013::smiley-flag013::smiley-flag013::smiley-flag013::smiley-flag013::smiley-flag013:

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Robin,where in the U.K. do you live ? I have a good buddy who lives in Leicester,and it's funny because his name is Robbin too only with two b's.

·
32,409 Posts
Used to be a great guy that goes by "Mith" on forums from the UK. Forget his last name at the moment, first name Jim. He's been AWOL from the forums for quite some time. He's from south UK though.

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
:wave: Sorry to be the latecomer, but welcome to the forum robintwist! great to have you here!

·
4,481 Posts
Just a little nosy.
Are there many Snappers and Masseys over there?
No I am not coming over and buying them up.
Just curious.
I uploaded a serial to build date for Masseys to the Massey manual section and would also like to know any serials you may have to verify that information.
I am still in search of Snapper Serial to Build Dates.
Any Info would be greatly appreciated.
Again welcome to GTtalk and congrats on being our first UK member.

·
Tractorholic
142 Posts
welcome. i'm running a electric fuel pump on my 1655 and i was still getting fuel in my crankcase. so i put a cut off selnoid after my pump. never had a ploblem.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi, I live in the north west of England quite near to Manchester, Leicester is probably about one and a half hours from me in the midlands.
Cheers
Robin

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the welcome, I have to say that only having been a member for a few hours I have had great advice and tips which should save me hundreds of ££££.
Cheers
Robin

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Ducky, Snappers are quite rare in the UK, I have seen several of the smaller tractors on ebay but these are mainly just light duty lawn mowers rather than garden tractors, I think most of these are from the south of the UK so there must have been a distributer down there at some time, I notice that new Snappers are now being advertised here but as they are not that well known and are priced quite high against our more well known tractors, I don't know how sales will go.
I have never seen a Massey badged Snapper here, although I would ultimately like to do an 'olcowhand' paint job on mine, I think his looks great and would I'm sure increase the value of my tractor in the UK, large Massey tractors have been here for years and are exibited at shows all over the country, if mine was badged Massey I'm sure it would create a lot of interest.
I have searched for the older type Masseys like the 8 or 12 with the square bonnet (hood) but I have never seen one here.
Common brands available in the UK include MTD Yardman, Westwood, Castelgarden, Honda, Kubota and Ransomes, even Wheelhorse are quite rare and again seem to come from down south when advertised on ebay.
I woulds say the the most sought after tractors here are the Kubota diesels which bring big money.
As for the serial numbers I will send mine to you when I get home later.
Cheers Robin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts