Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am trying to set the points on an Onan B48M-GA018 twin cylinder engine on my Snapper 1855 but each time the engine is run the points gap has changed, even though they are tight.
Can anybody help?
Regards
Robin

·
96 Posts
If screws holding points thread into aluminum check for stripped threads. If engine has
a small rod to operate points check for crud on the rod. Are you checking gap again
after final torqueing of the screws. Sometimes they will change. Sometimes I have had
to redo them 3 or 4 times before they will stay where they belong.

·
Junk Whisperer
1,443 Posts
Try and clean the adjustment screw with brake cleaner or carb cleaner ,and put a dab of non permanent lock tight on the threads. They make many differant grades of thread locker. hope this helps , Shawn

·
30 Posts
If the threads are the problem, this is what someone had done to my engine. They had taken a screw and run it through the hole from the rear and then used a nut on the points side to tighten them down. At first I thought it was pretty tacky but it works fine and takes the stress off the aluminum points cover. At first I was going to tap the hole out to 8-32 but an 8-32 screw won't go through the points.

Canie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts