Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, in one week I will be taking my NY State DOT certification test in my welding class. The test is on a V-groove butt joint with a backing strip in the vertical position. If I pass, I will be certified for all thickness in flat, horizontal, and vertical positions. I am going to be using 1/8 inch 7018 electrodes.

There is a welding class in the morning (the one I am in) and another in the afternoon; between the two classes there are 40-45 students. Out of both classes, only 8 or so are taking the test.

HERE is the thread I started about the welding class.

·
Super Moderator
55,507 Posts
Good luck, Ryan! As if you need it! LOL! Just think of it as you are fixing your tractor!

Reactions: Ryan313 and larryd

·
Live long and prosper
6,794 Posts
Good luck my friend! I'm sure you will do fine. I hope you all pass.

Reactions: Ryan313

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody!

I asked the teacher what the pass rate is, he said only 15% of seasoned welders pass. That is pretty low, and I am far from seasoned!

·
Premium Member
32,410 Posts
Thanks everybody!

I asked the teacher what the pass rate is, he said only 15% of seasoned welders pass. That is pretty low, and I am far from seasoned!
Then remember, just in case you don't pass it the 1st time, that it's NOT a hit to your skill level. Patience is a key in welding, and also in getting certification. :thumbs:

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today we had a CWI (certified weld inspecter) come in to talk to us. He talked to us at the end of class, and in the beginning we had some shop time. While some where in the shop, I spent some time talking with the welding teacher and CWI about arc blow. We spoke for about 25 minutes about just arc blow! He told us a bunch of different things, and now we think we know why everybody has gotten arc blow during the DOT! I was really worried about arc blow, and now I think I will be able to combat it.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Thanks everybody!

It comes from stress of being tested.. If you were to test the welders welds in the field they would pass easy.. Like OCH said don't take it personally if you don't make it the first run. Try again. Don't focus on the inspection part focus on the welding part.

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried what the CWI had told me... I had no arc blow! I made 3 different root passes on 3 different practice plates today and they came out pretty well!

I do not have my hopes up on passing tomorrow, but I will give it my best! If I fail tomorrow, I will likely have at least two, maybe three tries next year.

·
Tractorholic
3,414 Posts
You'll do just fine!! And keep the ground clamp as close to your weld as safely possible! Go get um!! Then you can try for your 6G weld test ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.