Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Tractorholic
3,414 Posts
You'll do just fine!! And keep the ground clamp as close to your weld as safely possible! Go get um!! Then you can try for your 6G weld test ;)

·
Tractorholic
3,414 Posts
Practice, and understanding of your welding environment will greatly help with "arc blow" . Is it magnetic or thermal? And can it be used to your advantage for better penetration ??
Isolate your test piece with something non-magnetic , like brass clamps can help.
If i need to weld srtuctual steel I try to use ac if possible, especially on heavy stuff (3/4" or more ).
Dc at high amperes can get pretty tough to control and your beads get all wavey and to fluid like.

1/8 7018 Lincoln ex caliber rod at 75-100 amps ( depends on machine ) i like to keep my arc short and controlable , if you let it get too long then you can see the molten puddle start " dancing" not good and thats when the game is on! You have to really work to get it under control.
Make sure your comfortable !!!! If you are figiting and wiggling to get comfy your weld will not forgive you.

Reactions: Alc
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.