Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, in one week I will be taking my NY State DOT certification test in my welding class. The test is on a V-groove butt joint with a backing strip in the vertical position. If I pass, I will be certified for all thickness in flat, horizontal, and vertical positions. I am going to be using 1/8 inch 7018 electrodes.

There is a welding class in the morning (the one I am in) and another in the afternoon; between the two classes there are 40-45 students. Out of both classes, only 8 or so are taking the test.

HERE is the thread I started about the welding class.

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody!

I asked the teacher what the pass rate is, he said only 15% of seasoned welders pass. That is pretty low, and I am far from seasoned!

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today we had a CWI (certified weld inspecter) come in to talk to us. He talked to us at the end of class, and in the beginning we had some shop time. While some where in the shop, I spent some time talking with the welding teacher and CWI about arc blow. We spoke for about 25 minutes about just arc blow! He told us a bunch of different things, and now we think we know why everybody has gotten arc blow during the DOT! I was really worried about arc blow, and now I think I will be able to combat it.

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried what the CWI had told me... I had no arc blow! I made 3 different root passes on 3 different practice plates today and they came out pretty well!

I do not have my hopes up on passing tomorrow, but I will give it my best! If I fail tomorrow, I will likely have at least two, maybe three tries next year.

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One of the things the CWI said was to keep the work clamp is to keep the work clamp as far away from the weldment as possible! :D

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Done! When you take the test, you get two plates; that way you can have the second if you mess up the first.

Halfway up the root pass on my first plate somebody hit their head on the emergency shut off switch! It was not very good anyway, so I did not care and I went to the second plate.

The root pass on my second plate was great! I had arc blow at the very end, but the ends are normally thrown away anyway because of the crater when you stop. The teacher said it was just about te best root pass he has ever seen! Other then the arc blow of course.

It took me 3 hours to make all of the welds, and another 25 minutes to grind it. I think I did pretty well, but I am not confident that I passed. While I ground down the face, I did not see any porosity or slag inclusions... So that is a very good sign.

Results will be in after 3-4 weeks.

I took pictures, I will post them soon.

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here are those pictures I promised.

These are the two plates I made up for the test.

39C6CBEF-D642-463D-BD71-0E1A2435F300-394

This was the root pass of my second plate.

F09DFE24-572F-4D9B-A134-A5545ACD3A45-399

Here is the grove 90% filled. Sorry, pretty blurry.

C868862E-09BE-4E0E-A93A-F0BADFB77A80-394

I was in a rush to finish on time, and I did not have a chance to take a picture of my cover passes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.