Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got out the 1254 yesterday to do some work (the input shaft seal needed replaced and reattach the pto lever) this is how I started
Posted Image

By the time I got it apart I figured I might as well paint, so here is what I currently have
Posted Image

My question is, how close of a match is IH white compared to the factory Bolens? Also, will a quart be enough? I don't want to put a lot of money into this, it's not a show piece, it's a work horse.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
After reading this and your other thread on paint today and coming back( to see if answers came in)., I know there's a Bolens paint code thread that I think Doc started., and was ' thinking ' how nice it could be to have a kinda 'standardized color swatch chart'

like the one shown in that 'maj-paint' link for these various Bolens colors/ models... :reading_the_manual:

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,755 Posts
I'm wondering what color the paint is also for my 1254.

I did manage to find a good pic of a 1254 with a very close matching paint on it.It may be a tad bit to light.Looks like it's white with a bit of grey and a touch of green and brown mixed in.

This tractor does NOT have original paint on it.You can see that they painted over the red hood stripe.

img-6335.jpg

I may just paint my hood and fenders White for the time being just to keep them from pitting any worse than they are.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Just clean them up & prime for now until you decide. Don't rush the finish coat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's an awesome write up. Thanks for sharing. I plan to use an HVLP gun, not spray cans, but still a lot of good info.

·
Tractorfanatics.com
10,292 Posts
I may just paint my hood and fenders White for the time being just to keep them from pitting any worse than they are.
I think that's a good line of thinking, better to stop the rust now rather than let it go another year.

Unless....................

You do like I would be tempted to do:
Call the wrong color paint job good enough and run it. Then kick yourself twice a month for not getting the correct darn color in the first place and being done with it.

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
I have not tried to match this color yet but the white used for this time period was more of a grayish white (Not cream Color)

The picture of the Repainted one Ericfrompa posted looks like a close match to what the original looked like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts