Garden Tractor Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
While I’m waiting for motor parts and the day was nice I did some removals in the tractor. Fenders, motor mount plate, rusty toolbox, and seat back are all in the shop. Took one wheel off to maybe get in to the brakes but I’ll need a flywheel puller to get the drum off, oh well, next time, plenty of work ahead.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle brake

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It rained today so I messed around with the motor since it’s on the bench and near where I keep the beer. Undecided about colors, going to have to choose by next weekend so we’ll see what I end up with.
The posts behind the flywheel are not tapped so adding a power coil is out. Yes I could tap them but have decided that on this one I am going to keep it simple, no need for lights, etc. from what I have found this particular model did not have electric start or lights, I think.
Apologies if the pix are boring. I love rebuild threads and appreciate them if I am rebuilding the same motor (part, machine, etc).
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Wood Engineering

Automotive tire Saw Motor vehicle Asphalt Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering Machine tool

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fender Bumper Gas

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Spent some time on the main pulley assembly (not sure if it’s called that) so I can mount it to the motor. Almost done, one more quick going over and I’ll clear coat it, put metallic black on the outside face and mount it up. Managed to remove both lock bolts with only a little hassle, took longer than anticipated to clean up.
The engine mounting plate (again, not sure what it’s called is in the works.
Automotive tire Gas Engineering Auto part Machine

The isolators that I removed from the engine mount will work but aren’t great. I can’t find them anywhere. I found similar ones for a John Deere but they’re too big (2.98”) I need roughly 2” even. I don’t want to redesign the assembly at this time and will clean up and remount the three I have if need be. Would rather swap them out if possible.
Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part Household hardware

·
Super Moderator
55,655 Posts
Try McMaster-Carr for those isolators. I used these on a Ford:

I know they are 4 hole mount, but may work for your 2 hole application.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Try McMaster-Carr for those isolators. I used these on a Ford:

I know they are 4 hole mount, but may work for your 2 hole application.
Thanks Kenny, I didn't think to look through McMaster. They mount under the plate to a flat surface so shape isn't an issue. I'll have to remeasure the ones I have as I am not sure the size of the rubber.

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,703 Posts
If you have access to a metal lathe you may be able to make your own mount using two (or more) hockey pucks. The pucks could be turned on a metal lathe to the correct sizes (thickness and OD) - a trick secret to machining rubber is to place the rubber in a freezer for several hours so it is frozen before machining it. Make the two halves so their total thickness plus the center plate is equal to the thickness of the center sleeve length. Bore or drill the pucks in the center for the inside metal sleeve and then assemble with the center plate sandwiched between the two pucks. The pucks can be glued together using contact cement if desired. Just a suggestion if you cannot find a replacement.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If you have access to a metal lathe you may be able to make your own mount using two (or more) hockey pucks. The pucks could be turned on a metal lathe to the correct sizes (thickness and OD) - a trick secret to machining rubber is to place the rubber in a freezer for several hours so it is frozen before machining it. Make the two halves so their total thickness plus the center plate is equal to the thickness of the center sleeve length. Bore or drill the pucks in the center for the inside metal sleeve and then assemble with the center plate sandwiched between the two pucks. The pucks can be glued together using contact cement if desired. Just a suggestion if you cannot find a replacement.
Thanks for the idea. Hopefully the ones I have aren't that bad [haven't really looked into them] if not I'll probably complete the rebuild, then take the motor off [in warmer weather] and play around with a new/different design.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ok, so I am an idiot, I found the isolators... at a place I have ordered from prior... that specializes in Panzer [among other older tractor models]... HAPCO so I have them on order.

I completed the cleanup of the engine pulley so I'll get it clear coated and detailed in the next couple days. I was really pushing to get the motor and mount done so I could fire it up on the tractor and bring up another load of wood, but the temps are going to be around 35 F for the next few days and I am a very delicate flower when it comes to the cold.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ok, so I am an idiot, I found the isolators... at a place I have ordered from prior... that specializes in Panzer [among other older tractor models]... HAPCO so I have them on order.

I completed the cleanup of the engine pulley so I'll get it clear coated and detailed in the next couple days. I was really pushing to get the motor and mount done so I could fire it up on the tractor and bring up another load of wood, but the temps are going to be around 35 F for the next few days and I am a very delicate flower when it comes to the cold.
I received the isolators from HAPCO and they're a perfect fit. As Thanksgiving is this week and I have family coming in to town I doubt I will get much done this weekend other than drinking too much, eating too much, and watching too much football.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone, take a moment to think about the real things for which we are thankful before we all board the Christmas express...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts