1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Rockstar
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
As a mod, I do have to be aware what I say on things like this... But as a person who grew up on a beef farm, I think this young man and his parents should be given the biggest attaboy we can give and I hope they sell every one of those tickets.

And IMHO, The lady who sent that email should be charged with whatever she can be charged with for sending adult materials to a minor.

In case someone missed it, the family does have a Facebook page for the raffle. Search cow raffle and it pops right up.

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
I used to belong to PETA, believe it or not. Having grown up around family farms, having relatives with a large family farm, I have always appreciated the way the farmers cared for their livestock. All the farmer's I have been privileged to have known have treated their animals properly and humanely.

I did join for a while to help battle some of the abuses that occur on HUGE mega farms. Workers who treat the animals badly and cruelly. To some of them, the animal is just a work object, like a box or similar item. They had enough hidden video to convince me to part with some money to help stop it. After a few years, I saw nothing helping and they even sent a deceptive looking donation request a month before the dues invoice. I could not tell them apart and when I complained, all I got was sorry, you should have read closer. I didn't send in after that.

I never had any rude dealings with anyone and none of the literature ever asked me to commit improper acts or crimes. There are a fringe of extremists that think they are answering a higher cause and do things like the above. Hopefully that person is terminated from the organization.

I hope he sells all the tickets and someone really appreciates the new calf. I'm glad I'm no longer a member of that association, although I still feel somehow embarrassed after reading that story.

·
Rockstar
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I chose to not really comment on it because with people like this I really have trouble not coming off the top turnbuckle.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
If peta has a problem, why don't they gather the money to win the cow at auction?
Cause they want to tell other people what to do and how to live.

EDIT: But at this point, it would be an excellent PR move for PETA to buy the cow for whatever amount the boy needs for his trip simultaneously saving the cow from the butcher and sponsoring the boy's trip.

·
enjoyin the livin part of life!
1,083 Posts
As someone who spent better than 10 years running a so called "factory farm" I really have a bad attitude towards the peta folks,all I can say to this one is I hope the local prosecutor makes an example of whoever is responsible for sending the boy the inappropriate email.

I always chuckle when I remember the story of the petaheads who decided to liberate some hogs from a large factory hog farm,it was their last attempt at such activity as they were trampled to death by same hogs they liberated!!

Daytime Dave,if it makes you feel any better in the time I spent running pig city we treated our hogs in the most humane way possible and I wouldn't have allowed it to be done any other way,as with most things the bad apples get all the headlines and the good guys get little or no recognition.

·
Anything Red . . .
12,049 Posts
I was told some years ago that PETA supported the introduction of a Bill in Illinois to protect farm animals from cruelty. It was dropped after someone figured out that it would prevent farmers from neutering pigs!!!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I was told some years ago that PETA supported the introduction of a Bill in Illinois to protect farm animals from cruelty. It was dropped after someone figured out that it would prevent farmers from neutering pigs!!!
I'm by no means a farm/country guy, but I did spend a few summers at my aunts farm in Maine when I was a teen.
I learned the true meaning of "Squeal like a pig" helping my uncle neuter a few pigs. It was 40 years ago, and I can still hear them !! I guess I'd squeal too if someone shoved me head first into a 55 gallon drum, held my legs and cut my nads off.

I'm sure it's done differently on big farms.

PETA has sure made the news with some real stupid ideas. To each his own.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.