Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1976 MF 12 on fri night from a local lawn and garden shop fri night,and am finally getting around to put pics up.It came with a mower deck and snow plow.It runs good,but burns oil.So i'm going to see if I can get one of my other rougher 12s running and do a transplant.It appears that the tractor may have been electric lift originally.The p.o. took the elec lift off and put a manual lift handle on in its place.It still has the up/down switch on the dash w/wires going to the solenoid.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Tractor Tire Wheel Automotive tire Mower Vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Wood Automotive tire Asphalt Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor

Attachments

·
Bush Hog Addict
3,431 Posts
Nice looking 12! Looks like it all was well taken care of. Should be a nice one to hold on too!

·
Super Moderator
54,372 Posts
Nice looking tractor! Good luck with it!

Reactions: ckjakline

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Looks like you found a very nice MF 12.

Good luck with the engine swap or rebuild...what every you think is best.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Good looking GT to keep original. Congrats

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
Very nice 12 you got there, how many does that make you now? What are your plans, restore it?

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice looking 12. Deluxe muffler, intact nose ring, complete plow and deck...
Smoking can be cured Sometimes.
Do you know how long it sat? The rings may just need some loosening.
I think they were using it up until they traded it in 2 weeks ago.It needs a battery it has to be jumped every time doesn't hold a charge.They just jumped it when they wanted to use it.They wanted a mower w/a bagger on it and didn't want to put any money in this.I'm going to run it for a little and see what happens.Try a few things to see if it is the rings being stuck or just worn out.

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice 12 you got there, how many does that make you now? What are your plans, restore it?
As far as 12s,this is my 2nd 12 that runs.The other 12 is a 69 12h.I have 2 other 12s that I bought but didn't get to see if they are runners yet or not.I have 7-10s various years.A 7g,7h 2 14s, a 8g and an 85.I think that's all of them.May end up using a motor off one of them if motor needs rebuilt in the 76 12g.I'm going to keep it orig for a while and use it.

·
Only member from Western South Dakota!
1,771 Posts
Looks like a real nice tractor! It doesn't appear that they changed much from '75 to '76 (mine is a "75 12G) except the pulley covers on the cutting deck are a lot different. I had to take mine off as those covers would pack full of twigs until I could smell the belts getting hot. Looks like stuff like that may not pack up in yours. Your deck has wheels too and mine has rollers.

Later---DAC

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Working on an engine swap in the 12. Pulled the original engine out so i can work on rebuilding it sometime in near future. The engine going in bolts in the factory mounting holes. It's a tecumseh ohv160. The engine runs good with no smoke. The cranshaft on this engine only measured 1" and the crank pulley of of the hh120 is 1.125. I looked at the hardware store for options and the bronze bushings were the cheapest way to go. That is basically the only modification i had to do so far.

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Sports equipment Wood Bicycle part Motor vehicle Tread Automotive tire Wheel Tire Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Attachments

·
Only member from Western South Dakota!
1,771 Posts
It looks like that engine is a perfect fit. I hope everything goes well on rebuilding your HH120. When I re-powered my 12G last fall the shaft size problem came up with me too. It never occurred to me about using a bronze bushing. Looks like it will work great! I bought this steel one from an ebay store for 20 bucks shipped with the rectangular key included. Keep us posted on your progress!

DAC

Attachments

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Working on an engine swap in the 12. Pulled the original engine out so i can work on rebuilding it sometime in near future. The engine going in bolts in the factory mounting holes. It's a tecumseh ohv160. The engine runs good with no smoke. The cranshaft on this engine only measured 1" and the crank pulley of of the hh120 is 1.125. I looked at the hardware store for options and the bronze bushings were the cheapest way to go. That is basically the only modification i had to do so far.
I like it, the engine your using is a good choice for a repower, overhead design with more power and probably burn les fuel. I also see you have the large pulley on the flywheel side, comes in handy if the battery fails, rope pull start.

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looks like that engine is a perfect fit. I hope everything goes well on rebuilding your HH120. When I re-powered my 12G last fall the shaft size problem came up with me too. It never occurred to me about using a bronze bushing. Looks like it will work great! I bought this steel one from an ebay store for 20 bucks shipped with the rectangular key included. Keep us posted on your progress!

DAC
That was an option the hardware store had mentioned. The one i needed was $25.I asked them don't you have any steel or brass bushings going from pulley size 1.125" to 1" crank size. Thay had bronze for $1.87 each. I needed 2 for the width of the pulley.I used a hacksaw to cut the slot out for the key way,and filed the burrs off.I was surprised how well it went together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts