Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a fan of the newer tractors but when they are free I'm on it. My daughters neighbor got frustrated trying to fix a no start and told me if I wanted it to come and get it. I was hoping it was an old one like the Original or another 1250 like I got or even a 1650 anything old rusty needing a home. When I seen it I was kind of disappointed but thankful. He put a new cheap fuel pump, new coil, fuel filter and hoses still no start. The starter was dragging bad so I took it off to clean but it was toast. I got a new one it cranked good and fast but only a small amount of gas in the filter. I quick blast of starter fluid and it fired up good. I took the gas line off to the tank and very little gas flow. I shot some air to the tank and small particles of like black pepper come to the top of the tank neck. I'm thinking tank is clogged with maybe hose pieces from deterioration. I hooked the line back up then the filter filled up and first crank it started nice and smooth. It's still not wanting to start sometimes hot but will start with starter fluid. I'm thinking the pump isn't holding the fuel pressure up or letting it drain out. I'm going to order a Mikuni pump and see if this works better. Like I said not a fan of newer tractors but this thing is a beast to be a LT. The 50" deck runs nice and smooth the tractor grips good for turf tires and steers easy. The Hydro sounds strong and pulls steady. I'm very happy with it. 0984E265-3209-4299-8287-A8486BA692DF.jpeg 08220875-645C-47F3-89AB-8C74E9E1E2C2.jpeg EEE8761F-0C35-4E9C-8132-44ADE5078BAA.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Nice score for free! Are you going to keep it or flip it?

Reactions: Sawdust

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice score for free! Are you going to keep it or flip it?
I'm going to keep it. I have a little over an acre around the house I keep cut. I'm finding out more and more I'm tired of repairing the old decks. I inherited my dads little Sears I use some times and along with this Cub it's like getting in a sports car compared to some of my old ones. I use a Simplicity 7117 and a Cub 1250 as my go to grass cutters. The other old ones have their own duties.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Are you going to clean the tank and replace the fuel line too. Where ever the little black stuff came from. Nice looking tractor. And some times newer ones are nice to drive. Does it cut the grass nice ? I find the newer ones tend to make wind rows or clumps, where as the older ones don't.

Noel

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
We have the 1650 version of that mower. Re-motored it with a Briggs 16 hp a few years ago. Make a nice mowing unit for Carolyn but I don't care for the two foot pedal system. I like my hand control hydro 1512.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you going to clean the tank and replace the fuel line too. Where ever the little black stuff came from. Nice looking tractor. And some times newer ones are nice to drive. Does it cut the grass nice ? I find the newer ones tend to make wind rows or clumps, where as the older ones don't.

Noel
I plan on cleaning the tank and replacing that section of fuel line. I thought maybe the debris was from a bad hose but mostly that shows up in the filter not flowing back up into the tank. It does cut grass very well but my largest deck is a 48" and this 50" makes a difference. I still like the smaller decks I think they cut better on uneven areas which I have a lot of.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have the 1650 version of that mower. Re-motored it with a Briggs 16 hp a few years ago. Make a nice mowing unit for Carolyn but I don't care for the two foot pedal system. I like my hand control hydro 1512.
Same here my wife already likes it a lot. Like you I don't like the foot pedal design it's kind of uncomfortable taking your foot off to go into reverse basically with your toe. It does cut nice though and the price was very good. Lol

Reactions: IHCubCadet147

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'm kinda familiar with that mower. They do operate nice and mow good.
Couple things you'll want to keep an eye on. The top of the mower deck always fills full of grass clippings. Makes a mess in and around the belts.
Also there's grease fittings underneath the deck on the spindles that get overlooked sometimes.
And the drive belt on the hydro is not friendly to change. And the hydro is non- servicable. Not even a dip stick..
All in all they're a good machine..????

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm kinda familiar with that mower. They do operate nice and mow good.
Couple things you'll want to keep an eye on. The top of the mower deck always fills full of grass clippings. Makes a mess in and around the belts.
Also there's grease fittings underneath the deck on the spindles that get overlooked sometimes.
And the drive belt on the hydro is not friendly to change. And the hydro is non- servicable. Not even a dip stick..
All in all they're a good machine..????
First time looking at it the deck was full of grass. I check the under side and it looks in good shape with some serious service rust but well greased. I plan on taking it apart later and sand blasted the under neath then spray with some rust reformer then paint it. On the tranny I was concerned about the fluid level being sealed. I went online and found several videos about pulling the factory plug to do some maintenance on that. Most problems were getting to it without dropping the tranny. I believe it's a 2005 with 888 hours so I'm sure it could use some attention. This factory crap is why the junk yards are full of 5-8 year old tractors unlike our old gems. I'll update when I do my adventure on this tranny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts