Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
1973-ish 990. Paid $225. Non-runner but the engine has compression. PO says the magneto is bad.

Good points: Two nice rear tires and rims, 3pt hitch minus the upper link, mower deck drive shaft and deck, front plow guide braces, front PTO pulley, S/G works, straight sheet metal (that has been brush painted), dash tower broken but not too bad.

Not so good points: Left front spindle steering arm broken, no muffler, hole in the rear frame rail.

The PO says the person he bought it from (for $50 this summer) scrapped the MTD tiller, snow blower, front blade, garden plow, cultivator and disc. Sad.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I was just looking at your previous winter project & getting inspired with the 990 fever again. I seen you still had the three in the corral & now a fourth. :thumbs: That is so sad as hard as these implements are to come by these were scrapped. What color do you have under the hood?

I don't have any for mine yet. I heard the mower decks weren't that good of a grass cutter....what is your opinion on this? The tiller would be a good find. I'm hoping to get a three point hitch fabricated this winter. I have your fabulous snow plow plans down loaded would also be a good project. I have only pulled downed trees & a trailer around the homestead & these things are beasts.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was just looking at your previous winter project & getting inspired with the 990 fever again. I seen you still had the three in the corral & now a fourth. :thumbs: That is so sad as hard as these implements are to come by these were scrapped. What color do you have under the hood?

I don't have any for mine yet. I heard the mower decks weren't that good of a grass cutter....what is your opinion on this? The tiller would be a good find. I'm hoping to get a three point hitch fabricated this winter. I have your fabulous snow plow plans down loaded would also be a good project. I have only pulled downed trees & a trailer around the homestead & these things are beasts.
This is #6. The paint is on all surfaces so the tins were removed to be painted. No color showing anywhere.

(Edit): found red paint under the red paint.

The 42" mower deck may do a better job of mowing that the 50". The 50" deck is ok for cutting a field but not a lawn. It would do better if it had 4 corner wheels or casters.

If the engine runs, I may restore it. I have a 54" scissors style front blade for this machine.

Reactions: Sawdust and Alc

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We were gonna buy that!

Those things sure are mean looking.
I really did not want another 990 but I seems it is too much for me to let another one go to the scrap yard. I think you see the same beauty in these that I see.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the cruise control someone installed was a factory option. A picture of the broken steering. The dash is in fairly good condition.

Attachments

Reactions: Sawdust

·
Getting Out!
8,215 Posts
Cruiese control?? looks like just "go faster" with that spring like that, once moved out of N slot. Would almost think it would pull from that even? That steering arm should be an easy fix, some new bar stock, bent and welded on. Why broke? front tight? Have seen steer gears kinda stiff and hard-working, but shouldn't effect this part. Tie rod balls frozen? Hmmmm!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the steering arm got bent by someone pulling the machine out from being stuck or frozen to the ground. Could be from hitting a tree stump or large rock. It was folded down with a lot of force. The tie rod is still connected though. The steering wheel moves easily.

The Briggs has an unreadable sticker below the carb labeled Serial Nu........ No stamped numbers on the fan shroud. The PO had it listed on Craigs List as an MTD 660.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Taking a look at the engine. First thing is to remove the shroud and clean the stinking mouse nest out. The magneto checked good with .8 ohms primary and 5k ohms secondary. It had new points and condenser but very weak spark. Cleaned the contacts and all mounting surfaces of the condenser and points and got a strong spark. Set the points at .020. Poured gas into the carb while cranking and it fired and will continue to run if gas is dripped in. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
A few hours working on the engine has it starting and running nicely. The carb needed cleaning and a high speed needle. Took two tear downs and cleaning to get it working. Changed the oil and it has a new air filter. Found the numbers on the shroud below the carb and it is a 1972.

Checked the starter generator for output and installed a new belt. Checked the hydro and it moves forward and reverse but the linkage is sloppy. The lift cylinder is broken and leaks, no movement but oil spits out when using the lift valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
A few hours working on the engine has it starting and running nicely. The carb needed cleaning and a high speed needle. Took two tear downs and cleaning to get it working. Changed the oil and it has a new air filter. Found the numbers on the shroud below the carb and it is a 1972.

Checked the starter generator for output and installed a new belt. Checked the hydro and it moves forward and reverse but the linkage is sloppy. The lift cylinder is broken and leaks, no movement but oil spits out when using the lift valve.
The main reason we didnt buy it was we were worried about what could be wrong with the motor from all that sitting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.