1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
Looks like that was a nice score.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
I wonder if the tires and rims were swapped out. All the Massey ones I have seen had wheels and wide tires like the front rims on the tractor. In fact, that nice color catalog that I uploaded even shows them with the two-tone paint style.
Either way, awesome trailer!

·
Tractorholic
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FirefyterEmt said:
I wonder if the tires and rims were swapped out. All the Massey ones I have seen had wheels and wide tires like the front rims on the tractor.
I have no idea. The tires on it are wheelbarrow tires. If they were swapped, it must have been early in it's life 'cause the tires on it now look 40+ years old! :)

·
Tractorholic
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FirefyterEmt said:
In fact, that nice color catalog that I uploaded even shows them with the two-tone paint style.
Either way, awesome trailer!
Actually, the page that shows the dump cart with the hay bales in it has the tire/wheel set-up that I have on mine while all the other photos have the two-tone wide wheels....Hmmmm? Either way.... I do have an extra set of front rims....

·
Tractorholic
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MH81 said:
Any way to tell year? I was wondering if the 1st year had the narrow as an option like the tractors did?
Good question! There is a dealer ID plate rivetted to the side; maybe there's a serial number on it? If so, do we have any data on build dates by serial numbers for implements/accessories? It came from the same dealer that my 67 came from and was in fact part of the same deal. My guess is that they were all bought (tractor, mower, snowthrower, dumpcart) as a package.

This had me puzzled so I looked through the manuals uploaded here and lo and behold, there was one for the dump cart. The assembly instructions and parts picture show the wheels and tires I have. The photos of the cart in use however, show the wide front tires from an MF 10/12. The specifications in the back list the tires as a standard wheelbarrow size.

Here is my guess. Prototype wagons were made and tested using the front wheel set-up like the tractors. When they went to production, they went to the less expensive wheel barrow tires. I've seen examples of brochure and manual discrepancies like this with Cub Cadet stuff as well.

Sound reasonable?

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
DMF said:
Here is my guess. Prototype wagons were made and tested using the front wheel set-up like the tractors. When they went to production, they went to the less expensive wheel barrow tires. I've seen examples of brochure and manual discrepancies like this with Cub Cadet stuff as well.

Sound reasonable?
Yep, sounds plausible to me! That is built strong, much stronger than most of the piddly stuff built in the last 20+ years.

·
Tractorholic
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mikebramel said:
With that logo is before 1970
Yes. The whole package I picked up was from the same dealer so I assume it was bought either at or around the same time. The tractor figured out to be a 67 so I bet the wagon is the same or very close.

·
Collector of stuff
1,813 Posts
Nice cart, got one of those in the extras I got with my PK 2414. The one I got had the wide rims with turf tread tires. Had to change those wheels/tires as they were rusted/rotted beyond saving. similar logos and the PK is a 1970 so time line fits.
P.

·
Tractorholic
1,555 Posts
Nice looking cart. Definitely made with good, thick steel, unlike more recent carts. Have fun with it!

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Definitely a great cart. It is in great shape for the year and the tailgate/rear bed area doesn't have a bunch of rust holes like they usually have. Great score :thumbs:

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Well, I do not think I have seen another Massey trailer with the narrow wheels. They always seem to have the wide wheels and turfs just like the tractors. I do wish I knew if the trailer used the ones to match the smaller 7/8 sized front wheels or if they used the ones off the 10/12.

Here are some photos of a trailer that belongs to another member. I forgot who owned it, but I want to clone my trailer to match it, so I kept the photos.

·
Tractorholic
432 Posts
I have a mf641 manual from I think 1969 (5000-10/69). It shows wheelbarrow looking wheels and gives the size 4.30-8 and axle of 1" steel rod. Also the tri logo in these pictures show the moving tractor in the top triangle, so I would think yours might be made later. I don't know when the tri logo was changed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.