Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up the massey 1650 yesterday I had the guy put a jump back on it before I took it to make sure it turned over. I couldn't believe it started right up. So I bought it for $450 upon bringing it home I find that its not the coupling that messed up its the hydro shaft with almost zero spline left as seen in picture. So I now I need some advice on how to fix it. Also is there a fan that goes on the this drive shaft if so it is missing. Below are more pictures of it the mower deck appears to be in pretty good shape. The tractor does need paint though but is straight. Gas Wood Metal Fixture Auto part Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tractor Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tread Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Fender

Attachments

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
:welcometogttalk: and thank you for the photos.

I hope you can get your GT hydro fixed.....Were you misled on the problem when you bought it?

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
That's an Eaton hydro unit. Most massey's have Sundstrands, but some do have the Eaton. I believe all the Snapper 1650's were Eaton. There's not much you can do except replace the shaft or the complete hydro itself. This same hydro was used in several makes, one being the MTD 990 series, then the Snapper 1650, other Massey models, and other makes as well, but I am slow to recall at the moment. I would look for a used unit with a good shaft. That way if you get one for a bargain price, between yours & the purchased one, you'd surely be able to make a good one from the 2 if the one you purchased wasn't good out of the box.

Some though, like the MTD 990's Eaton has a keyed 3/4" input shaft instead of the splines, so refitting the driveshaft would be needed to use that style.

G

·
That's an Eaton hydro unit. Most massey's have Sundstrands, but some do have the Eaton. I believe all the Snapper 1650's were Eaton. There's not much you can do except replace the shaft or the complete hydro itself. This same hydro was used in several makes, one being the MTD 990 series, then the Snapper 1650, other Massey models, and other makes as well, but I am slow to recall at the moment. I would look for a used unit with a good shaft. That way if you get one for a bargain price, between yours & the purchased one, you'd surely be able to make a good one from the 2 if the one you purchased wasn't good out of the box.

Some though, like the MTD 990's Eaton has a keyed 3/4" input shaft instead of the splines, so refitting the driveshaft would be needed to use that style.
That's some pretty dang good info.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
The Sears FF's used Eatons also I believe.

Just throwing out, is it possible to drill both coupler and shaft and pin it? I know not the best solution, but...?????

I just had new driveshaft made for my Massey, thankfully shaft was good, ujoints were shot in driveshaft though.

·
Super Moderator
54,354 Posts
The FF's and Fords use an Eaton 11.

·
171 Posts
Look up this link (from my article) give them the #'s from your Eaton and they will be able to tell you their availability and the cost.

www.flinthydrostatics.com/

If that fails email me and I will put you in touch with a Pump rebuilder here in Independence and he can get the shaft through one of his suppliers.

I do have a good Eaton but I would rather not sell it but rather trade it for another Sundstrand. I can rebuild Sundstrand's and I need one with a good input shaft to build a spare to have around.

Good luck and have fun

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found a massey 14 for sale for 100 bucks so my question is does it have the same transmission. It also comes with 14 hp kohler if its the same trans I will buy it.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
I found a massey 14 for sale for 100 bucks so my question is does it have the same transmission. It also comes with 14 hp kohler if its the same trans I will buy it.
Different hydro completely, Sundstrand 15 inline unit. Actually better in my opinion than the Eaton, but all your control arms won't interchange. For $100 bucks, buy it anyway! GREAT deal just for parts. Maybe you could swap the hydro to Petenpole for his Eaton!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts